gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » ID/value thoughts on an old Gitane Tandem
ID/value thoughts on an old Gitane Tandem 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
tandemono
hey there,
my uncle was cleaning out his garage and discovered an old (i'm guessing late 60s/early 70s - there's a license sticker from 1971 on it!) beautiful Gitane tandem bike which he gave to me.
It's in really nice shape, rides great; anyways as my boyfriend and i were riding it around last weekend a guy offered us $600 for it... It was a tempting offer as we're just students however i don't know how much or even what model we have.

any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!
cheers.
Jess.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Welcome to the forum, and wow: That is a really nice tandem.

What you have there is (likely) a 1969 Model "Sport" #565. Here is a picture of it as it appeared in the advert:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1969/pricesheet/1969-Price-Sheet-001.jpg

The bike didn't change much, and is pictured here in the 1970 catalogue:
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1970_pg7.jpg

The model name should appear on the small silver sticker just above the "Gitane" sticker on the down tube. Should say "Sport".

Suggested retail was right about $199 in 1969, so not a cheap bicycle by any stretch of the imagination. It was Gitane's entry level tandem for light touring and cruising around town.

Yours appears to be in fantastic condition.

Here is the bad news: Bicycles like that are worth what people will offer for them. Right now, older tandems are pretty "expensive", so I would imagine that the stranger's offer of $600 is probably in the ball park. That being said, I would not recommend selling it at that price or anything close to it: You will never be able to replace that bike for that or any price. Even though it looks tempting today, DO NOT SELL IT. Save it for future use. I wish my wife and I had one of those right now. Buying even a Schwinn tandem costs about $600...if one is available for purchase.

And yours has some family history to it as well (assuming that you like your uncle). Trust me: If you sell it, you will likely come to regret it.

Amen to that Brother 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Jess, welcome to the forum. I wholeheartedly agree with Stephan!!!

What a nice early 70's Tandem Mixte----I'm sooooo envious ---even my Wife commented that she would ride again, if we had access to one of these.

(In the past she always said I ride Too Fast--or rode too fast the last time I had her on a friends Santana tandem back in the mid '80s). Rolling Eyes

I would say this would be a rare item---don't see too many of these Tandems pop up on Ebay---much less one that seemingly is as nice as your's.

If you and your friend enjoy riding---I simply would echo Stephan's thoughts----hang on to this baby and enjoy!!!! But we're kinda of a prejudiced group when it come to anything Gitane.

And you may be in running for the "Best Karma" for receiving a "Gift" Gitane in 2010 Very Happy

I Like Steel !!!!!

C.A.
Salina, Ks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
tandemono
thanks guys for the input - that advert is cool!!!
I think i will keep it then - though we know very little about vintage bikes in general this one looks like a piece of art!
cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
So what does the small sticker say on the down tube just over the "Gitane" decal?

ID/value thoughts on an old Gitane Tandem 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane