gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Going, Going, Maybe Gone - 1974 TdF
Going, Going, Maybe Gone - 1974 TdF 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I bought this Tour de France off of a local Craigslist about a year and a half ago. I took her into the shelter of Chas' Home for Wayward Gitanes so that she would end up as a fixie! Mad

Aside from my altruistic motives, Twisted Evil I bought the bike because it had a really nice 1st generation Campy Rally rear derailleur plus a set of correct sewup wheels with Campy Nuovo Tipo hubs to match my 1971 TdF. Also I know several local guys who could ride a bike this size.

The bike appears to have all original equipment except for the derailleurs, bar end shifters, a Cinelli Unicanitor seat plus new cables. My educated guesstimate is that this is an early 1974 Foil Decal Tour de France. The Mavic rims have a 1974 date code plus other features point to that model year.

The frame is 61cm center to top which is odd because Gitanes from that era came in 50cm, 54cm, 57cm, 60cm, 62cm and 64cm frame sizes and they were usually pretty close to those dimensions.

The nominal inch size equivalents were 19.5", 21.5", 22.5" 23.5" 24.5" and 25.5". Nominal is the key word since these were metric bikes.

The bike supposedly belonged to a collector and has been ridden very little. The chrome is in nice shape. I touched up most of the small paint chips and scratches. It definitely passes the 5' test.

She could use a new set of Cyclomondo decals but from 5'...

Last week a LBS owner called me and asked if I had a bike about this size. He said one of his customers wanted to get into collecting some classic bikes.

I dropped it of at his shop this afternoon so will see in a few days if it's love at first sight or she goes back to the dormitory (bat cave)!

I'd keep her but a 57cm frame is about the largest I can ride.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:44 am Reply with quote
scozim
Good luck Chas. The "Home for Wayward Gitanes" is a very safe place and a worthy cause. I always wonder, when I see a higher end Gitane on the Bay area Craigslists disappear, whether the bat cave has swallowed another.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
TDF- Going, going.... 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
trials guy
Chas, nice bike! What is the standover height? I may know someone interesed.... How much are you hoping to sell it for? Thanks, John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

Chas,
Beautiful bike; in fact, my favorite from this era. I wish that it was a 57. I (hypothetically) would not change much; perhaps replacing the bar end shifters ((not my favorite for this category of ( road racer) ))velo with Simplex down tube shifters. If it is to be sold, here's hoping that it goes to a bonafide Gitane rider.
Peter H.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Greetings!

Has this bike been sold? Jay suggested it might still be available.

I'm in negotiations for a 70/71 garage queen right now. I was first in line and have offered the asking price, but I know that others are in line behind me and may bid it out of my ball park. I should know by tonight.

This one sounds pretty close to perfect for me in size, to boot. My first TDF was a 24.5, but slightly less would probably be even better for me now...

Sounds like there is a line for this one already, but I am hungry for a bike to ride.

Owen

EDIT: Actually, I have scored my 70/71 SC, so will report on it when it arrives!!!
Going, Going, Maybe Gone - 1974 TdF 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane