gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane Super Corsa on SF Craigslist Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Gitane Super Corsa on SF Craigslist 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
trials guy
Tall Super Corsa on San Francisco's CL. Looks to be a tall one (58 or 60). No relation to seller. I'd post a link if i knew how...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Looks like a Super Corsa BIG BARGAIN!!!! Won't last long...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/1702177285.html

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
When stuff like that comes up, put the information down in your note. Especially price and maybe even a comment on the condition. When the CL list is deleted, we can't see it again. Thus, it's lost to our history.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
LeicaLad wrote:
When stuff like that comes up, put the information down in your note. Especially price and maybe even a comment on the condition. When the CL list is deleted, we can't see it again. Thus, it's lost to our history.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks.

And my thoughts LeiciaLad....sign off with a least a first name so I know who to say "Yes Sir" to. This almost sounded like an order.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Mea culpa!

Huge apologies. No offense intended, and certainly no "orders" issued.

Merely a plea for the info hungry.

I have no idea of what value is currently placed on this vintage, and I'd really like to find one to duplicate my first proper bike.

Again, my genuflections to all.

Owen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Jay,

While I'm genuflecting, I'm digging thru other old forum postings. I find a reference that you may be the maven on existing SC frames from the 1970-72 era.

Are such things still floating around, and what would be a fair/reasonable price to acquire one?

I'm in NoVa, by the way.

Cheers,

Owen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Owen,
I am a bit testy today because of the Southern Virginia heat and humidity. You are welcome to ask the list for the information you seek and we will do our best to accommodate you. If you are interested in the "Super Corsa" model, prices can be all over the board depending on originality and components.

Absolution granted Wink

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
LeicaLad wrote:
Jay,

Are such things still floating around, and what would be a fair/reasonable price to acquire one?
Cheers,

Owen

Owen,
I find myself in a better position on the "Tour de France" of which I have three. The Super Corsa is far more difficult to find. Many of them have been stripped (donor bikes) of their early and pricey Campagnolo components which are very desirable. It was one of very few French bikes in the early 70's that came fitted with full Record/Nuovo Record parts.

I have kept away from SC frames because it could cost a small fortune to restore to its former glory.

Maybe Chas. will chime in on this subject.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Whew! Glad to be absolved. When I reread my post, I saw that it could be read as testy. It WAS hot and stanky today, too.

I read the long thread on TDF vs SC. I'm not that fussy, except with the rear dropout. My 1971 TDF had the Simplex dropout that my local machine shop did a slightly sloppy job of trimming when the RD died. It has a campy on it at a less than perfect angle, but has always worked.

SO, if I could find a TDF with the Stronglight crank and rear campy dropouts, in a size 24, (maybe as I age a 23 might be smarter?), then I'd be a happy camper.

I'd want a clean riding bike, rather than a perfect restoration for show in any event.

Owen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:22 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
LeicaLad wrote:
SO, if I could find a TDF with the Stronglight crank and rear campy dropouts, in a size 24, (maybe as I age a 23 might be smarter?), then I'd be a happy camper.

I'd want a clean riding bike, rather than a perfect restoration for show in any event.

Owen

Owen,
I can't imagine there being any difference in the ride of a TdF and a SC just because the SC has Campy dropouts. They were the same frames and at times an occasional TdF can be found with the Campy DO's for whatever Gitane's reason.

Chas. has a nice, slightly later one for sale on the Left Coast (see link)
http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1474

It sounds like it might fit you. Maybe y'all can work something out if he has not sold it.

BTW, for your Penance, say a prayer for a cooling rain and not another damn thunderstorm Wink

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Hey Jay,

Thanks. I've popped a note to him.

At least according to the forecast, our prayers for rain may be answered. I'll keep praying for the "cooling" part, as it usually means higher steam levels down in this swamp!

Cheers,

Owen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
I love hijacking a dead thread for an extended conversation.

I just got off the telephone, and it seems I have scored the ultimate (for me) garage queen: a 1970/71 SC, totally Campy, from the original owner. He says it has probably less than 500 miles on it. Been hanging in his rafters for 35+ years. Total stock.

Now, the downside are the sew-ups. Total stock is total stock. Ain't no way I am prepared to deal with sew-ups again. I'm too old for that!

Would these original wheels be worth the value of whatever new wheels (and freewheel) I'm gonna need? I'm gonna assume, as I haven't seen photos that can tell me for sure, yet (later today), that the hubs are Records not Tipos.

What would you suggest?

Owen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
If it were me, I would find a set of Mavic Module 'E' or 'E-2' rims and rebuild them. Not that easy to find at a reasonable price but great rims just outside of the time line. Or, just find a good set of modern rims and rebuild for riding. Either way you will keep intact the Record hubs and freewheel.

Good luck with the acquisition of the bike.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:59 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Jay,

Thanks for the advice.

I recently returned to the US after many years in S.E. Asia. The household stuff was shipped into storage in middle USA, and we live in a small apt in the hell known as suburban D.C.

That shipment included all my basic bike tools (as my primo bike, the 81 Tom Ritchey frame #133) had been stolen. So, I don't have even the most basics, like chain puller, freewheel tool. Hell, I don't even have a spoke wrench here.

That said, in just a few weeks, the family & I are doing a drive out to Kansas to visit the aging mum. That will give me a chance to go dumpster diving in my own storage. Awaiting me are a few treasures (and a lot of junk): a set of Record hubs and a Record crank set, both NOS that I purchased on a visit to Italy in 1983 when the Lira was in the toilet (even worse than normal). Plus the basic tools. I probably won't need to replace those parts, but the wheels will be the big issue. I can't do my own wheel building (no jig, anyway, but even it...), so I guess I'll paddle myself around to the LBSs to see what they'll charge me.

Once this arrives, I'll post it up and ask all the stupid questions there.

Thanks for the patience and suggestions.

Owen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:12 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Not terribly far from D.C. is Velo Classique owned by Wayne Bingham. He's a vintage fan and can likely help you.

http://www.veloclassique.com/

Give him a call and tell him Jay sent you.

Jay

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane