gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1971 Tour de France - my first child (photo heavy)
1971 Tour de France - my first child (photo heavy) 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Well, here is my very own basement queen: My 1971 Tour de France. Purchased new in Lawrence, Kansas, in the summer of 1971.
Lots of photos follow.

This is, in no way, period correct. I started changing things as soon as I got it. I hung out in our LBS and my best pal was the shop mechanic.

One of the key observations I found on this site regards the distinction between the TdF and Super Corsa. The distinction posted here is that the fork of the TdF is too short to accommodate the Campy headset used on the Super Corsa. Oops. Glad I didn’t know that when I swapped out the Stronglight headset for a Campy headset somewhere around 1973.

This is not in the gallery, simply because I need to do some cleaning. Moreover, while I love this bike absolutely, she’s got a lot of nicks and scraps from years of heavy use. Not to mention transport, first to the University of Hawaii, then to Wash. D.C., then back to Kansas, plus a number of other journeys in-between.

Among the many changes: Modolo brakes. Avocet seat post and Brooks saddle. Stem and bar changes. Zeus pedals.
Derailleur swaps. Phil Wood front hub, NR low flange rear hub.

Regarding the drop-outs. The Simplex drop out was milled, but very poorly, at a machine shop near campus in 1972. The Campy RD fits, but at an angle less than perfect. Still, I’ve never noticed a problem. You can see the angle is not exactly correct.

I don’t remember when the front derailleur got swapped. This may have been in the late 70s.

Anyway, she really, really needs a good cleaning. But I love this bike.

Owen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:36 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Owen,
What's the plan for this one? Is it staying behind as the "Basement Queen"?

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Howdy!

Most likely. It's down and getting a basic cleaning. I always ride when I'm here, but I have to stop every couple miles (or less) to tighten spokes. They seem to go loose.

The bigger question is what to do with a Peugeot PX10LE, circa 1977, that is too big for me. I bought the frame in 1980 and built it up - state of the art 1980-81 - and then hung it up when I left the country in the fall of '81.

Because it's a Peugeot, I posted the details here:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?658819-Identifying-a-1976-1978-Peugeot-P

Any thoughts and comments?

Owen
LEICALAD 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
vintagespoke
Hello,

I have been following your string of post concerning your Gitane SC and saw your link to your large PX-10. Can you contact me off list concerning the PX-10.

Thanks.

-Rich
Chesapeake VA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Hi Rich,

I'll respond here simply because it sold. It was up for a matter of hours.
(That thread posted above was the info thread where I was trying to learn more about the frame before I definitely put it up as a PX10. When I posted it in the actual "For Sale" thread, it was gone in hours.)

Perhaps I should have asked for more?

Actually, the guy who got it was very, very happy and promised to send me a photo once it was built up.

Oddly, it hung in the LBS here in this college town for several years without a nibble. That was for the entire bike. I strip it to the frame, and it was gone in a matter of hours.

Go figure.

In the meantime, I have acquired a 1985 Mercian Superlight in an impulse purchase. But, that said, I can hardly wait to get back home and finish the S.C. rebuild.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
vintagespoke
No problem. I'm always lookinf for big French frames as they are hard to come by these days.

Cheers!

-Rich
Chesapeake VA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Well, my thanks to you.

Finding good French bikes is always a challenge. Should you find any that are just that tiny bit too small, do please pass it along to me. I like the 59-61cm size. Should another in the 63+cm size appear, I'll happily do the same for you.

Cheers,

Owen
1971 Tour de France - my first child (photo heavy) 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane