gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Yippeee!!! Finally got original decals! Goto page 1, 2  Next
Yippeee!!! Finally got original decals! 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Well, after over a year of searching, I finally acquired an Original set of decals, from France, for my 1976 TdF. I was reluctant to use Greg's because they were not 100% correct. Now I can send him scans and hopefully he can correct his without any major issues. His lacks the gold underline below the word Gitane and they need to be split for proper alignment on the DT.

Now I can have the proper decal for the down tube and the bike will be as original.

All is good, even the weather, in Virginia today.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Congrats! Hopefully he will make the changes!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
Very cool (not SC's weather, but concerning your new found decals)!

I have some original decals (2 sets) from the same era/model type, both of which differ from one another in the slightest ways and with those recreated/sold by Cyclomondo. After that bit of realization, I gave up on figuring out which ones were "most correct"? I ended up using Cyclomondo's as their labels seemed to be of much higher quality (in terms of materials used, color and most importantly, its adhesive powers). I guess an option is to clearcoat over the new true-originals (to preserve/protect them better), though that wouldn't be authenticate finish for many of the Gitane models. I know its all subjective in the end (and in the eyes of the owner), which counts for most of the veto powers at large, which I exercise as well on my bicycles too Wink

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Kinst VonSterga wrote:
I have some original decals (2 sets) from the same era/model type, both of which differ from one another in the slightest ways and...

I purchased the complete set too but all I need is the down tube decal. I think what I am going to do is have it reproduced and then decide which to use on the bike.

I would be interested to see the variations in your originals if you are able to post something.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
greyhundguy wrote:
Kinst VonSterga wrote:
I have some original decals (2 sets) from the same era/model type, both of which differ from one another in the slightest ways and...

I purchased the complete set too but all I need is the down tube decal. I think what I am going to do is have it reproduced and then decide which to use on the bike.

I would be interested to see the variations in your originals if you are able to post something.

Jay

I shipped one set down to my painter a year or so ago on a WIP frame that is still in progress, the others I will scan. I have some older 1960 decals that are being recreated as I type, not a cheap proposition but the original decals were very thin/flimsy and the color is starting to fade (must be the ink quality they used can deal with any light exposure, LOL).

When done, I'll probably make these scans available for those restoring early sixty frames too as many are printed on non-foiled backing and the colors/band widths are different.

Cheers

Last edited by Kinst VonSterga on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Jay and Kinst,

Well done on the transfer front. Originals of many makes and models are very difficult to come by.

All the best with your restorations.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
mikkla
Great, congrats!

Did you buy them at Ebay.fr?

I saw a set just like yours there.
I thought about bidding, but decided not to as they where the wrong colour for my bike.

Good luck with the scary part, putting them on there!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
mikkla wrote:

Did you buy them at Ebay.fr?

I saw a set just like yours there.
I thought about bidding, but decided not to as they where the wrong colour for my bike.

Michael,
Yes, they were on eBay.fr. Thank you for not bidding. I was able to get them for the opening price but was prepared to go MUCH higher if needed. I have been looking for over a year. The seller was great, I had them in four days.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Congrats!

Looking fine!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
Another original sticker for the taking on ebay that ends 9.12 (unless its you that is selling it? Wink

http://global.ebay.com/GITANE_ORIGINAL_NOS_HEAD_TUBE_DECAL_1974_-_1976_/260661508649/item

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Kinst VonSterga wrote:
Another original sticker for the taking on ebay that ends 9.12 (unless its you that is selling it? Wink

Ummm, errrrr, yup, that's mine. I have two so one goes away to help defray costs of the set. Bid high!!! Wink

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
Here are some pics (not the best quality), but enough to start picking apart the differences between the orig. vs. replicas on the some the labels that I have.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Kinst,

Thanks for the comparison. There are some pretty stark differences between the originals and the replicas when you see them side by side. I'm surprised they're so different unless, or perhaps, there's a copyright issue regards design reproduction. Even so, in isolation the replicas look very good indeed.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
If there is a copyright/trademark, the differences you see there is not enough to protect the reproduction decals, so that isn't the issue.

I think there were a lot of variances in even the original decals. In the lot that I had of circa 1984 decals, there were variances in the print quality.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:27 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Kinst VonSterga wrote:

LT,
Interesting. My newly acquired original seat tube decal is lacking the "Made In" above France.

This one I suspect is earlier as it is not a solid sheet decal but a backing, die cut transfer and top cover sheet. Another interesting thing is that on my '76 TdF the ST decal is one sheet but again lacks the "Made In". Obviously they changed over the short course (1974-76) of production.

Jay

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane