gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » stem size? 22mm
stem size? 22mm 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
bowser
hi
i have noticed the steering tube on my team pro is 22mm . most cinelli stems i find are 22.2mm . is it a matter of careful filing?
i have a 22mm 3ttt stem but would like to replace it with the original
cinelli if possible
thanks
bowser

peugeot ph12

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:50 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Bowser,
22 mm is the metric or French size. They can be a bit hard to find, but they do show up on e-bay. 0.2 mm isn't much, and Sheldon Brown suggested sanding a 22.2 mm stem by wrapping sandpaper around it and turning it. I would try a sandpaper that's not too coarse so you don't get big scratches.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Hi, I have taken off the 0.2 mm from seat posts and stems. You will be surprised as to how much sanding you have to really do.

I actually start with a file and while rotating, take most of the material off.
I am always checking with a micrometer as I go.

Than start to remove the scratches with 240, 400, 600, and finally 1200 paper to get it just before polishing. I always do this wet and it has worked well for me.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
trailrunner
I sanded a Cinelli stem to fit my TdF years ago. I don't remember it taking a lot of sanding. I wouldn't use a file as you could "flat side" the stem by taking too much off. Wrap the sand paper around the stem and take your time.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
bowser
hi thanks for your input sanding and polishing sounds a good option i havent come across a 22mm cinelli stem yet

peugeot ph12

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Bowser,

Ebay France is a very good place for 22mm stems.

Here's a lovely example of a '70s 22mm stem, albeit with bars too, (which the seller says is 22mm diameter and it most likely refers to the vertical but it's always worth double checking with the seller in any case) and with the sought after oval Milano stamp;

http://tinyurl.com/2b4kq3k

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
bowser
thanks tim will keep an eye out on the french site

peugeot ph12
Which bike? 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Is this for your 1983 Team Pro? If so, it should probably take an inch size 22.2mm stem.

I'd recommend checking inside the top of the steering tube for a little lip that might have been rolled over.

Also if you are trying to fit a stem with the headset top nut completely tightened, loosen the nut first and see if the stem fits easier.

I used a fine round file to put a very slight chamfer around the top inside of the steerer.

Clean out all of the crud inside the steerer and run a small brush hone through it about 4" deep.

You can get brush hones at auto parts stores for under $15 and it's a worthwhile investment. If you can find the right size it can be used for both of the steerer and seat tube.

A work of caution, use care inserting and withdrawing the hone. Stop the drill before pulling the hone out so that it doesn't scratch the paint on the top of the seat tube or the chrome on the headset locknut.

A few months ago, I was finishing assembling a 1988 non Gitane French bike. Everything had inch size dimensions. When I went to put in a 22.2mm stem it wouldn't fit easily. I took the above steps including running a brush hone through the steerer with the locknut attached. After that, 22.2mm stems fit fine.

I wanted to use a new 26mm diameter Nitto bar. The Cinelli and 3TTT stems that I had that were designed to fit a 26mm bar were all pretty scratched.

I bought a new Nitto stem to use instead. It was clearly marked 22.2mm x 26mm. After installing the bars I found that the quill was loose in the steerer!

I measured the 22.2mm Nitto stem and sure enough, it was 22mm the whole length of the quill!

The moral, don't believe everything you think!

BTW, the last stem that I cut down from 22.2mm to 22mm took me well over an hour to finish.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica