gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Pro Tour de France - any hints on a sale price, buyers?
Pro Tour de France - any hints on a sale price, buyers? 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
garrettnixon
Hello,

I acquired a vintage Gitane in great shape for it's age but sadly it's too tall for me (about 24 inches on the rear post). The wheels are new in the pics but I have the originals still. I don't know much about this bike and I don't want to give it away on Craigslist since there's obviously fans out there who could give it a better home. If anyone has any idea what it's worth or better yet, if anyone wants to buy it please email me at garrett@featheredfriends.com
If additional pics would be helpful I'd be happy to shoot whatever you need.
photos here: http://picasaweb.google.com/garrettnixon/Bike?feat=directlink

Thanks ~ Garrett
Seattle WA
Early 70s TdF 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Garrett,

Welcome to the Forum.

You have a 60cm early 70s Gitane Tour de France in VERY nice condition.

Gitane measured from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube back then.

It has 2 of the most common changes TdF owners did back then: a Brooks Pro saddle and a SunTour V rear derailleur (those derailleurs sold for $6-$7). Also many riders of larger size frames switched to SunTour bar end shifters.

The original wheels would have been sewups with Normandy Luxe Competition hubs. Everything else except the bar tape and cables looks original.

Price? $450 to $650 You may have to wait until the right buyer comes along.

Good luck

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:27 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
From the photos, I'd guess closer to 58cm. Doesn't quite look like the 60.

The frame does appear to be in very, very good condition. However, even it the new wheels are on Campy or Phil hubs, that price estimate seems a little optimistic.

Regardless, it is a very nice find.

The photos are good, but if you'd like to post more close-ups, I know there are many more who will appreciate and might even comment!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Garrett,
Do the original wheels have Normandy hubs? They could have also been Campagnolo "Tipo" (a little more desirable).

I think at the price range suggested it might be a long wait for the right buyer. It's had some alterations from original specs but good choices. It also needs a seat tube decal. Overall the bike appears to be in great condition which is a plus.

There was a near mint and almost all original TdF in the D.C. area for well over a year that the seller tried over and over to sell from $600. down to $400. and I think he might still have it.

Then again, there is a difference in what East Coast buyers are willing to spend vs West Coast buyers.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Hi Guys,

I based my guesstimate on prices I've seen on eBay over the past 3-4 years. Craigslist prices are usually about a third less.

During that time span there have been about 6-10 Gitane Tour de France bikes/frames listed on eBay a month and 2-4 Super Corsas.

Condition is everything and resprays rarely bring as much as a battle scared all original bike.

Even with what appears to be cheap after market wheels, the condition of the frame looks great which is why I gave such high values.

The seat tube decals were usual victims of bike stands that gripped the seat tube. One slight twist of the bike and they got wrinkled (did a few myself when we first got a Park stand until we learned to wrap a rag around the tube).

The Brooks Pro while a little scuffed and water stained still looks to be in good condition and would bring at least $100 by itself.

I have a similar bike for sale at a LBS for $500.

"From the photos, I'd guess closer to 58cm. Doesn't quite look like the 60."

Gitanes and most other bikes from that era were measured from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube (C to T).

Gitanes came in 50cm, 54cm, 57cm, 60cm, 62cm and 64cm NOMINAL sizes.

These translated to 20", 21.5", 22.5", 23.5", 24.5" and 25.5" which were very nominal dimensions.

So a 60cm frame would be about a 59cm size Center to Center (C to C).

The most popular size frames are 54cm to 60cm.

Right now eBay prices are pretty soft but... a nice example of a 38 year old bike can bring those kinds of figures.

Old PX-10s are bringing that kind of money and as the reputation of TdFs spreads they too are increasing in value.

You can probably expect $300 to $450 on Craigslist. It's getting close to the start of school and students are paying that much for junkers!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: eBay price guestimates 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:

I based my guesstimate on prices I've seen on eBay over the past 3-4 years. Craigslist prices are usually about a third less.

During that time span there have been about 6-10 Gitane Tour de France bikes/frames listed on eBay a month and 2-4 Super Corsas.

Chas.,
Might you mean TdF's and SC's a year here? I can't recall a month with that many Gitanes over the whole model line being offered on eBay. I suspect both of us would be cash poor if that many top end Gitanes were being offered a month.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
verktyg wrote:

Chas.,
Might you mean TdF's and SC's a year here? I can't recall a month with that many Gitanes over the whole model line being offered on eBay. I suspect both of us would be cash poor if that many top end Gitanes were being offered a month.
Jay

Jay, I meant a month.

From eBay Help section: "When you list your item, you can select the listing duration for 1, 3, 5, 7, or 10 days."

Most listings that I've seen for bikes and frames are for 5 or 7 days.

During my BAP (Bike Acquisition Phase) from 2006 until late last year, I checked eBay at least one a day.

Why so frequently? I found a lot of "things" that I'd been looking for that popped up on BIN (Buy It Now) listings that only lasted a day or so before someone grabbed them.

While frequently you'll see a Gran Sport listed as a TdF there's almost always real TdF listed. Right now there's a TdF frame and a bike listed, both 1974 or 75 models.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: eBay Frequency 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:
greyhundguy wrote:
verktyg wrote:

Chas.,
Jay

Jay, I meant a month.

Wow! I can't believe I've missed out on 24 to 48 offerings of Super Corsas in the past 12 months. I'll have to watch closer.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Chas, any 23.5 to 24.5 inch bike, either TdF or SC, that you see and don't need yourself, do pass on to me, please.

Much to the horror of my wife, I'm apparently entering another bike acquisition phase!

Laughing
Re: eBay Frequency 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
Wow! I can't believe I've missed out on 24 to 48 offerings of Super Corsas in the past 12 months. I'll have to watch closer.
Jay

Well.... maybe my numbers on the SCs were off a little but there have been at least 20 listed (frames/or bikes) over the past year.

I click "Add To Watch List" on frames or bikes I'm curious about (mostly Gitanes).

One other thing, for whatever reason just clicking on the Sporting Goods section of the Gitane search results sometimes overlooks a Gitane bike or frame.

I have to wade through all of the guitar, clothing, record album, lipstick and trany CD listings with hopes of finding a lost sheep (and not Gitane DeMoan). Rolling Eyes

And yes, I'm cash poor now! Crying or Very sad

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
LeicaLad wrote:
Chas, any 23.5 to 24.5 inch bike, either TdF or SC, that you see and don't need yourself, do pass on to me, please.

Much to the horror of my wife, I'm apparently entering another bike acquisition phase! Laughing

Check your PM. You wife can hate me too! Wink

But honey, bikes are way cheaper than other women! Twisted Evil

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
garrettnixon
Thanks for all the great information, I'll check those wheels again when I get home, they were definitely sew-ups. I can post some close ups as well.
Cheers ~ Garrett
more photos 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
garrettnixon
Hello,

I've added some more pics. By the way, I'm asking $400 if anyone is interested.

link to photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/garrettnixon/Bike?feat=directlink
Still available? 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Has anyone grabbed this bike yet? Considering the condition, $400 is a very fair price. If it were my size...

I have similar bike on consignment at a LBS for $500. It's not in quite as nice shape as yours.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Pro Tour de France - any hints on a sale price, buyers? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane