gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Help me identify Gitane 600 from about 1975
Help me identify Gitane 600 from about 1975 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
pbs
I just bought a Gitane 600 from craigslist, $195. See attached photo. This is red, 24" center to top, Serial A00029 and Gitane Pacific Number 10078.

Its derailleurs are Suntour V-GT and its saddle is Ideale leather. Otherwise it is similar to the Gitane in the 1975 Bicycling magazine article.

Can you help me identify the year this was made?

Do you know if the derailleurs and saddle are original?

I originally planned to convert this to singlespeed, but now am rethinking this.

Thanks,
Peter, Washington DC

[/img]
Gitane 600 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to the Forum.

Here's a link the the 1976 Gitane US catalog showing the 600 model:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1976_pg5.jpg

(note, you can click on the magnifying glass cursor to get a closeup view)

The specifications list Shimano 600 derailleurs plus Shimano hubs and Shimano Tourney crankset.

As you pointed out, your bike has a Suntour V-GT Luxe rear derailleur with the alloy cage plus a Suntour Compe-V front derailleur and Suntour ratcheting shift levers.

Substitutions were common in the bike industry, especially during the 1970s. The Suntour derailleurs and levers on you bike would have had a slight performance edge over the Shimano 600 parts.

The Gitane 600 frame was essentially the same as the earlier Gran Sport Deluxe frames - built with medium gage carbon steel tubing. Gran Sports weighed about 28 lbs. with mostly steel components. The 600 models with all alloy components probably weighed about 24 3/4 to 25 1/2 lbs. depending on the frame size.

I suspect that these bikes were assembled in Southern California by Gitane Pacific. They imported painted bare frames from Gitane in France and installed the decals and components here in the US.

Two suggestions, the rear brake cable straddle wire isn't sitting properly in the cable yoke. It could slip out when you apply the brakes.

Also, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted. There is a screw on the rear that adjusts the position of derailleur in relation to the "chain wrap" around the freewheel. The parallelogram shout be somewhat parallel to the chainstay or even lower. It will make for easier shifting.

Suntour (as well as most Japanese manufacturers back then) used REALLY cheap quality screws. The slots or Phillips heads were soft and easily strip out. Apply some thin lubricating oil or penetrating oil to both ends of the screw and leave it set for a while.

The derailleur should be positioned like the one in this picture.

This should be a nice riding bike.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
thanks 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote
pbs
Thanks for the help. I just got the bike, so I haven't had a chance to work on the brakes and derailleurs yet.

From what you write, I expect the Suntour components and Ideale saddle were probably installed by Gitane Pacific. It's odd to see the brazed-on shifter cable guides (visible in my photo) just above the friction shifters.

Because it's original, I won't convert this to a singlespeed.
Re: thanks 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
pbs wrote:
From what you write, I expect the Suntour components and Ideale saddle were probably installed by Gitane Pacific. It's odd to see the brazed-on shifter cable guides (visible in my photo) just above the friction shifters.

Gitane Pacific most likely used a "man killer" cheap plastic saddle as shown in the 1976 catalog.

The Ideale saddle looks like a model 80. It was probably installed by a former owner or the bike shop that originally sold this bike.

Those brazed on cable guides under the down tube were designed to work with the stem mounted Shimano 600 levers.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Photo after tune-up 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
pbs
Here is a photo after I finished tuning up my Gitane 600. I tapped the cranks for English pedals, replaced tires, chain, tape, rebuilt all bearings, added gum hoods, pump, and bottle cages.

Any suggestions? Does anyone know a better way to attach bottle cages without drilling?

Thanks,
Peter

[/img]
Re: Photo after tune-up 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
pbs wrote:
Does anyone know a better way to attach bottle cages without drilling?
Thanks,
Peter

Nice job! Cool

Those plastic wire ties are probably going to work loose on the first ride with water bottles in the cages. Embarassed

Back in the day we used to use 1/4" wide by 1 1/4" stainless steel hose clamps that you can get at auto parts stores.

Apply some tape to the tubes first so that the clamps don't scratch the paint.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
They make specialized bottle cage clamps as well, which will look "cleaner" than the hose-clamps. For example:

http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222343118/813/Dimension-Zinc-Coated-Steel.html

OR... 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:48 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
...get some of these for the correct look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/COBRA-alloy-water-bottle-cage-clamps-pair-BLACK-NEW-/120571914346?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c12a5686a

A nut and bolt is easy to acquire at your local Hardware store.

Jay

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane