gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » New Gitane owner and poster in need of advice....
New Gitane owner and poster in need of advice.... 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
PLS
Hi guys! To start with let me say I am not typical on this forum.... I am a 55 year old female who started riding bikes last year after getting laid off to lose weight and have something to do, but along the way I caught the bike bug. Not having much money I got into used bikes and started looking for an oldie but goodie to build up when I clicked on a Craig list posting stating "!970's vintage French road bike" and literally fell in love at first sight. Luckily the Gitane Grand Sport Deluxe was more or less my size, as I can stand over the top tube, although I don't have an inch clearance. Being female that didn't bother me much, and when I started riding this spring I fell in love with riding all over again, as I just love riding this bike. She is so comfortable, just a joy to ride.

Along the way she has become a true "Frankenbike" as components failed, but she probably was anyway, as someone had replaced her drop bars early on with bars that sweep back and up. That's in fact why I was so interested to start with because I never found drop bars comfortable in my youth. All other parts were original, and I have kept them needless to say. I know you guys like pictures, I am not good at that stuff but do have some pictures on my email I could forward for someone else to post, if someone wants to do that.

I just recently found this forum and in so doing have discovered that the TDF model didn't just have better components, it also had a much better frame. So my question is should I try to find a TDF frame in "my size", or is that a lost cause? I was 5'2" once upon a time and am short legged. My Gitane is 29 1/2 inches from the ground to the top tube, which appears to be 20 inches long. I live in New Hampshire and love climbing, so the 7 (?) pound weight difference would really make a difference.

Thanks for any advice you guys can supply!
PLS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:32 am Reply with quote
scozim
Hello and welcome,
Sounds like you found a great bike to get started with. Have any photos you can share.

The Grand Sport Deluxe was toward the bottom end of the Gitane line up. There are a lot of options including the TdF, Super Corsa, Sprint, Criterium, Interclub, etc. All have better frame material than the Grand Sport.

Sounds like you need a pretty short frame. I've seen one or two shorter ones on Craigslist but my experience is they're typically gone pretty quick. Ebay is also an option sometimes. Be diligent on the search and you'll find the bike you like. Also, be careful, collecting used, classic or vintage road bikes - especially Gitane's - is very addictive. I have three I've acquired in the past two years and am always on the lookout for good Gitane deals. You can join me in the collecting "asylum" if you like. Very Happy

Scott

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote
scozim
Just to add - a lot of times the descriptions aren't very good by the seller. Those can be some of the lucky scores.

Like this one - no description other than Interclub:
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/bik/1946929575.html

Plus many more
What size frame 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
PLS
do you think I should look for?

Any guesses how long it might take to find a TDF in my size? Or a Super Corsica.... is that the same frame?

PLS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
trailrunner
TdF's pop up all the time for sale. Another idea for you would be a mixte frame. Do a google search on Gitane Mixte to see some pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
scozim
You can find them - it's just that the smaller frames may be harder to come by. It's just a matter of diligence.

The mixte (women's frames) come up for sale fairly frequently but wouldn't necessarily be that much lighter.

Plus many more
Plus.... 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:49 am Reply with quote
PLS
I completely love the bike I am riding, just looking to upgrade. A mixte would have different frame geometry wouldn't it, thus leading to a different riding experience?

PLS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
A mixte might or might not have a different geometry, but most mixtes won't be lighter. I got my daughter a Centurion mixte because she wanted a girl's bike, and it's pretty nice except for the weight. A Gitane mixte would probably be a little lighter with thinner wall tubing and nicer riding, but most likely comparable to what you already have. A lady in Britain got a lightweight women's bike a few months ago, I don't know if you have come across it.

It doesn't look like anybody has offered to post your pictures yet. The first time I tried to post the only stumbling block was the pictures from the camera had to be converted to jpg and cropped. I got a free graphics program, "gimp," which didn't take long to figure out and does those things pretty easily. It'll also do a lot more stuff if you take the time to learn it.

Otherwise, I should be able to convert and post a few pics for you, but no guarantee of fast service. vanhelmont@hotmail.com
New Gitane owner and poster in need of advice.... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane