gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Year of my Interclub??? Hello all...I'm new to the forum.
Year of my Interclub??? Hello all...I'm new to the forum. 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
Walter
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and newly in love (don't tell my better half) with vintage Gitane bikes. I recently bought a blue...faded to greenish, Interclub from a guy that became disabled shortly after buying it new from his LBS. He said that he's pretty sure that it was in 1970, but not 100% positive. I was hoping that you guys...in your infinite wisdom...could take a look at it and see what you think about the year, and anything else about the originality of it's componets. I know that it most likely isn't Reynolds tubing, but maybe it's durifort...as it is very light weight for it's age. The seat is says Prod San Marco and Made in Italy...I'm guessing that means it was produced in San Marco?

Thanks a million...in advance!
Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
Walter
I think this is the bike referred to here...Crazy!

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1649

"Craigslist add... what model is this?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:48 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Greetings and welcome to the Forum.

Your bike is probably a late 1972 or a 1973 Interclub. It would have originally had 700c size tubular tires with alloy rims. Someone replaced them with 27" steel wheels.

The rear derailleur was originally a Simplex Prestige. It's been replaced with a Huret Challenger rear derailleur which shifts very nicely. Also the stem shifters are not original either.

I'd recommend getting a set of 700c or harder to find 27" alloy clincher wheels. It will make a world of difference in the ride(and save several pounds).

A word of caution, don't even think about stopping with those chrome plated steel rims when they're wet. The serrations in the rims hold water which acts as lubricant when you're trying to stop! Shocked

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Thanks 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
Walter
I had been thinking about getting a 700c wheelset, but I didn't want to modify the bike to the point that it was completely unoriginal...so much for that. That's awesome...I can upgrade and get closer to original at the same time. The brake pads are bottomed out in the adjustment slot, which makes me scratch my head a little bit. Aren't 700c's smaller than 27's...I could be looking at this completely wrong, as I am only beginning to learn about these french bikes. The wheels on it now were made in France, which led me to believe they were original...and yes, they're HEAVY. Also, is this the Sugino Maxy crank you were saying has a big problem with breaking?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
Walter
Thanks for giving me a heads up on the "Stopping when wet" issue. It's ironic that when they were sold, they were marketed as serration to improve wet braking. Lol. Had you not told me, I would have probably been whizzing down a hill in the rain and found out the had way. Phewww!
I've heard that Kool Stop salmon pads make a big difference with Mafac "Racer" brakes.

PS...I bet you know ALL about big whompin hills...based on your location. Lol Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Walter wrote:
I had been thinking about getting a 700c wheelset, but I didn't want to modify the bike to the point that it was completely unoriginal...so much for that.

What frequently happened was bike shops would swap out sewup wheels for clunky steel wheels when the bike was new and then sell the sewups (or one of the mechanics would claim them). Mad

Tubular or sewup wheels weigh over 3 lbs. less than steel rimmed clinchers. A descent frame is the most important part of the bike as far as ride goes. Wheels are next and are the most important area to look at for saving weight.

Alloy clincher rims can save you 2 -2 1/2 Lbs. over steel rims and the ride is totally different!

You will need to look around a bit to try and find a set of alloy rimmed wheels with the older 120mm wide rear hub to fit your bike. The original 5 speed freewheel hubs were ~120mm wide over the locknuts. The later 6 speed freewheel hubs were 126mm wide. Current bikes use 130mm wide rear hubs.

Your frame could be spread the extra 6mm (1/4") to fit one of these hubs 126mm wide hubs but it should be done by someone who knows what they are doing so that it's easy to remove and replace the rear wheel when needed.

Walter wrote:
The brake pads are bottomed out in the adjustment slot, which makes me scratch my head a little bit. Aren't 700c's smaller than 27's...I could be looking at this completely wrong, as I am only beginning to learn about these French bikes. The wheels on it now were made in France, which led me to believe they were original...and yes, they're HEAVY.

700c rims are 4mm smaller than 27" rims so the larger wheels fit slightly higher in the frame. The brake blocks on MAFAC calipers can be adjusted inward and upward to fit the rims. Some MAFAC calipers have elliptical mounting bolt holes that allow you to raise the calipers up to 1/4" inch or so. If not you can take a small round file and make the holes elliptical yourself.

There is one other highly unlikely possibility... You could have 700c steel rims! Shocked

I only ever recall seeing one of those rims. It sat around the shop and got sold as a 27" rim several times until we FIXED it! Evil or Very Mad

If someone brought the bike over from Europe it could have had steel 700c wheels! Confused

Walter wrote:
Also, is this the Sugino Maxy crank you were saying has a big problem with breaking?

Back around 1973 there were problems with some of the first cast aluminum style cranks like the ones on your bike. They weren't designed for heavier American or European rider and the chainrings loosened up on the crank arm. They were certainly better than the cheap steel crank found on the majority of bikes from that era.

There are a lot of owners who really like those cranks and have had no problems with them. As a technophile, I took exception to the designs and "Melt Forged" pressure cast aluminum cranks get no respect from
me! Evil or Very Mad

Walter wrote:
Thanks for giving me a heads up on the "Stopping when wet" issue. It's ironic that when they were sold, they were marketed as serration to improve wet braking. Lol. Had you not told me, I would have probably been whizzing down a hill in the rain and found out the had way. Phewww!

There was so much BS circulating around about "10 speed racing bikes" during the Bike Boom of the early 70s, - no one knew! Rolling Eyes

BTW, the paint looks very nice, must have been kept indoors all of the time as those Gitane "candy apple colors faded in the sun.

Last edited by verktyg on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
scozim
I've got another French bike that has 700c steel wheels on it. Granted they will be replaced by Super Champion Competition tubular wheels with the current hubs that are on the steel rims. So, there are some out there - but I agree they are probably pretty rare.

I've acquired three or four 27 X 1 1/4" rims from behind the local bike shop this year for other project bikes that might come up. They're all alloy and in fairly decent shape. It seems like the shops don't want to deal with them much even though our local one has a ready supply of tires for them.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
27" Wheels 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
The problem with 27" wheels is the lack of availability of good quality 27" tires, even so-so ones (as compared to 700c tires)! Confused

It was the exact opposite back in the 70s when 700c clinchers were hard to find in the US. Most bikes imported into the US during the 70s came with 27" wheels for the American market,

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Walter
Quote:

700c rims are 4mm smaller than 27" rims so they fit slightly higher in the frame.

For some reason, I can't seem to wrap my brain around that one. Wouldn't a smaller wheel fit slightly lower in the frame? I'm definitely not trying to say you're wrong in any way...I think I may be thinking about it the wrong way and always strive to understand things / my analytical nature. Lol Confused

Thanks on the paint. It was pretty faded and crummy looking before I worked it over with Rubbing compound. The color came right back.

Also, the wheels are Samir-Saminox and they're marked 27 x 1 1/4...Made in France. Normandy luxe competition (gold label) hubs...with a Normandy freewheel.

It sounds like I need to find the LBS that ripped off my 700c's and tell them I want them back...If it only worked that way. "Of course it was me that bought it new, really...I promise. Yes, I know I was born several years after this bike was made...It was a program bike...You can't prove it!" Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Walter wrote:
Quote:

700c rims are 4mm smaller than 27" rims so the larger rims fit slightly higher in the frame sometimes causing the brake blocks to run out of adjustment range.

For some reason, I can't seem to wrap my brain around that one. Wouldn't a smaller wheel fit slightly lower in the frame? I'm definitely not trying to say you're wrong in any way...I think I may be thinking about it the wrong way and always strive to understand things / my analytical nature. Lol Confused

I added to my quote...

Walter wrote:
Also, the wheels are Samir-Saminox and they're marked 27 x 1 1/4...Made in France. Normandy luxe competition (gold label) hubs...with a Normandy freewheel.

Samir-Saminox rims - there's an Asian steel mill eagerly awaiting their arrival! Wink

Normandy Luxe Competition hubs were fairly decent quality in those days. I have a number of sets of them a some run smoother than Campy hubs.

My suggestion would be to find someone to rebuild your wheels with some nice lightweight aluminum rims and stainless steel spokes. Sun CR18 rims have a classic look and are not too expensive.

If you go to a shop and some know-it-all hammerheaded bike geek gives you dirty looks, slowly back out the door and find someone else who wants your money! Appropriate hand gestures are OK too! Twisted Evil

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Oh, OK...now i get it 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Walter
Quote:
If you go to a shop and some know-it-all hammerheaded bike geek gives you dirty looks, slowly back out the door and find someone else who wants your money! Appropriate hand gestures are OK too!

That's exactly the reaction I was expecting when I went to my LBS looking to scrounge through their obsolete parts for a QR rear axle to replace the bent one on the Gitane. They were completely stoked that I was working on a french bike and had all sorts of questions for me...They were awesome. They ended up giving me all kinds of free parts and even removed my freewheel so I could re build it...Free of charge. They didn't say a word about my bike not being worth the effort or upgrading to a newer bike. I consider myself lucky to have a LBS like this one. I can guarantee that if I ever buy a new bike, I'll bend over backwards...even if it means overpaying, Just to support them. More bike shops should be like this. Take care of the person that's in need of something small...hook them up...reap the reward later.

I know a guy named Peter White that really knows his stuff when it comes to building wheels...and he has no problem using your old hubs. I think i'll take your advice and call him up. If I go that route, I won't lose the beautiful mesh of my drive components...While preserving some originality, or at least the look of it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:07 am Reply with quote
scozim
Walter wrote:
Quote:
If you go to a shop and some know-it-all hammerheaded bike geek gives you dirty looks, slowly back out the door and find someone else who wants your money! Appropriate hand gestures are OK too!

That's exactly the reaction I was expecting when I went to my LBS looking to scrounge through their obsolete parts for a QR rear axle to replace the bent one on the Gitane. They were completely stoked that I was working on a french bike and had all sorts of questions for me...They were awesome. They ended up giving me all kinds of free parts and even removed my freewheel so I could re build it...Free of charge. They didn't say a word about my bike not being worth the effort or upgrading to a newer bike. I consider myself lucky to have a LBS like this one. I can guarantee that if I ever buy a new bike, I'll bend over backwards...even if it means overpaying, Just to support them. More bike shops should be like this. Take care of the person that's in need of something small...hook them up...reap the reward later.

I know a guy named Peter White that really knows his stuff when it comes to building wheels...and he has no problem using your old hubs. I think i'll take your advice and call him up. If I go that route, I won't lose the beautiful mesh of my drive components...While preserving some originality, or at least the look of it. Thanks.

If you've got a LBS like that then see what they have for wheels laying around. The 27" wheels and a 70's Mavic tubular were all acquired by from the alley behind our LBS when the owner emailed me and said there were some road bike parts there that I could help myself to.

The owner of our LBS also has a lot of old wheels in storage in his loft - he's owned the shop since 1985 and has kept a lot of the nicer stuff in storage. It never hurts to ask. I think my shop charged about $50 to rebuild a tubular wheel using my hub this year.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Re: Oh, OK...now i get it 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
scozim wrote:
The owner of our LBS also has a lot of old wheels in storage in his loft - he's owned the shop since 1985 and has kept a lot of the nicer stuff in storage. It never hurts to ask. I think my shop charged about $50 to rebuild a tubular wheel using my hub this year.

Yes, it never hurts to ask.

Last summer I found 2 sets of NOS 700c wheels with Super Champion rims, Campy hubs, new (old) tires plus new Freewheels at a LBS.

They had them "upstairs" since the early 80s. I always check out the wheels hanging "in the back" when ever I can. Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Year of my Interclub??? Hello all...I'm new to the forum. 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane