gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1972 Royal Asport by Gitane; before and after
1972 Royal Asport by Gitane; before and after 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
zach.hope
Hello all,
This bike was my father's (and occasionally his brothers') since they purchased it new in Stillwater, OK in 1972. I remember this bike from my childhood as its resting place was usually my dad's living room. With the help of this forum and others, I was able to figure out that this was likely a Gitane Super Corsa. I was satisfied with that answer; but while I was visiting with my uncles in August, it was divulged that this was actually a Royal Asport made by Gitane. A quick Google search reveals that Royal Asport was a small French bike company who was purchased by Gitane in the 1960s if I remember correctly.

Anyway, the thing was in desperate need of some TLC when I received it. Rim glue was on everything rearward of the seat tube, 38-year-old grime coated the drivetrain, and the fork steer tube was cracked due to the stem's wedge having been set too high at some point in its history. After consulting the forum oracles (foracles?), I had the steer tube crack filled with brass by Rodney Clark (a Denver frame builder). I've replaced all the ball bearings other than those in the pedals (they spin fine, plus I don't have the necessary Campy removal tool). The rear rim has been through too much to get round and true, but it's rideable, and I purchased some NOS Altenberger hubs and have some used Super Champion Arc-En-Ciel rims with which to build a new wheelset. I left the frame and lug paint in its existing state ("patina" doesn't even begin to describe the paint's condition) because it is how my dad left it (he passed away 4 years ago when I was 27). He and his brothers stripped the original white paint off and sprayed it silver in the 70s. A friend of mine describe's this bike's appearance as "like a suitcase". I can't disagree.

I'm new to Campagnolo components, and I have been very impressed with the design and craftsmanship of these 38-year old works of art. I disassembled everything I could, so I got to know them well. My favorite parts are probably the pedals and the rear derailleur, or the Mafac brakes. And of course, the leather bar wrap is fantastic. I've enjoyed cleaning and refurbishing this bicycle more than I can say, and I hope you enjoy some of the pics.

By the way, if you're in the Denver area and enjoy custom-made bike stuff, you owe it to yourself to check out what Rodney Clark does. He designs and manufactures frames, forks, and components using all applicable materials of which I am aware. He hydroforms tubing, does custom carbon fiber fabrication, and even created a steel-tubed frame with a carbon fiber inner layer to protect the steel from corrosion (interesting, though perhaps not necessary in our climate). I'm not connected to him other than with my fork repair job, but I really admire his work and thought I'd pass it on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Great job on the bike, and even better job with the description. Very entertaining: Thanks for the good read!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
mikkla
Yep, really nice post.
Very good result on the bike, you can be proud on it!

And now.... it is time to do some gardening Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
zach.hope,

Super story, thanks for sharing, and particularly nice that your father owned the machine from new. Great also to hear the bike has been kept inside the house. That's the sign of a true bicycle collector, or appreciator. Once one has one machine inside, it's just a mater of time before other's follow.

I really enjoy restoration. It's such a great thing to do. I recently restored a machine for a friend and took each bit apart as you did - polished, greased and rebuilt to former and present glory.

Tim

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane