gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Preservation vs. Restoration and Updating Goto page 1, 2  Next
Preservation vs. Restoration and Updating 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Preservation vs. Restoration and Updating

"It's your thing, do what you wanna do."

But here's my outlook:

If you have or acquire a classic bike that's all or nearly all original in decent condition then I feel strongly about cleaning it up and preserving it in the style that it was manufactured. For safety and comfort reasons period correct updates are acceptable to preserve an historical artifact.

Most of these kinds of bikes have been recycled already and as interest grows in collecting older bikes their value increases.

See my link to The League Of Cycling Purity below for clarification! Wink

http://theleagueofcyclingpurity.wordpress.com/

Restoring a bike to like new appearance is OK in my view if you start with a rustbucket bike that has bad paint and/or chrome. Because of existing conditions these kinds of bikes usually have very little collector's value anyway.

Be aware that new paint and chrome if needed can set you back at least $300 and up to $700+. Shocked

New paint with old chrome looks funky. Another thing is the condition of the components. Funky looking components on a newly refurbished frame stand out like a sore thumb so you have to budget in cleanup time or the cost of replacements.

The cost to restore an old Gitane can easily run up to a $1000, an amount that you will rarely recover if you want to sell the bike. Over the past few years I've noticed that restored bikes selling on eBay have almost always brought less money than similar bikes in original used condition.

So if it's a matter of not liking the funky paint job, old Gitanes looked funky out of the box! Confused

Shiny components and some paint touch up can make a world of difference and will definitely pass the "5 foot" test ( at 5 feet you don't see the defects as easily).

Here's my my 1969 TdF. Lots of elbow grease cleaning and polishing, some touch up paint, overhauling the bearings plus some replacement components and voilą - the 5 foot test! Very Happy

There have been some beautiful restorations posted in the Forum, for instance Jay's TdF and Kinst von Sterga's Super Corsa.

Aside from those kinds of restorations my opinion is if you want a shiny new bike then buy a shiny new bike! Twisted Evil

Updating, putting on period correct upgraded components on a classic bike or modern components and saving the old ones to reinstall at a later time is OK.

So is starting with a bare frame and installing modern components since the original parts can cost a fortune.

This is a great solution if you want a rider since the frame and wheels are the most important parts of a bike and determine the ride and handling.

My 2 Francs worth...

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Chas.' post might be adopted as the "official" position of GitaneUSA.com.

Now my 2 cents:

While I get that it is "your bike...do what you want", as the owner of the website, that attitude doesn't mean I have to put up with it, or sit idly by as a classic frame gets ruined. If you want to experiment with your bike, do it on your own time, and in secret!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
trois tubes
Amen to that !!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
FORDSVTPARTS
I completely agree, you only have that original patina once.

I feel the same way about vintage cars.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
"While I get that it is "your bike...do what you want"

That song came to me while I was writing the post... Twisted Evil

All hail Cesar!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Couldn't have said it better.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Do I need to resign? 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote
jischr
Sorry but the 84 Super Corsa is my only road bike and my 'motor' is getting old. So the frame now sports a 105 triple, 12-25 10-spd cassette, brifters and 32 spoke wheels.

I would have loved to buy a Litespeed Tuscany or maybe a Specialized Roubaix but the budget was never there. Since I became unemployed 10 days ago getting new is definitely out. Besides, I can do a 5:15 century on an 'old steel' bike while the guys on new/lighter stuff complain that they need 1,200 gram wheels. Maybe my motor isn't so lold after all. But I still only have one bike, and quite frankly I'm not sure anything newer would ride as smoothly or accurately.

When I'm done I'll group the remaining original components and frame together and let somebody here buy and restore it for a wall hanger. But for now, I'll ride it until the frame cracks or flexs to the point of auto shifting.

my $0.02

John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I suppose I need to clarify/amend my comment a bit: I don't have a problem with people doing whatever they like with their Gitane bikes when it comes to components.

All I am talking about is the frameset itself, which, to me, contains the heart and soul of a bicycle. The components are infinitely interchangeable (unless pantographed!), and I have no real sentimental attachment. It is the frameset that makes a Gitane a GITANE, not the parts that are dangling on it!

Component Updates vs. Repainting 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
I suppose I need to clarify/amend my comment a bit: I don't have a problem with people doing whatever they like with their Gitane bikes when it comes to components.

All I am talking about is the frameset itself, which, to me, contains the heart and soul of a bicycle. The components are infinitely interchangeable (unless pantographed!), and I have no real sentimental attachment. It is the frameset that makes a Gitane a GITANE, not the parts that are dangling on it!

Agreed. (do I get suck up points) Laughing

I bought my 1984 Super Corsa frame on eBay at the beginning of 2007. I got it to build as a wet weather beater bike. It was my first Gitane in over 30 years. That's when I discovered this group.

Not knowing any better at the time I assembled it pretty much like the bike pictured in the Models section of this site.

Since it was going to be a beater, I used components that I had or decent ones that I bought cheap.

When I got the frame aligned, I had the rear triangle spread to 130mm so that I could use a Shimano 8 speed cassette hub. It's a real "Frankenbike" with a complete mishmash of components.

After riding the 84 SC a few times it quickly became my all time favorite bike. I've changed a few things for functionality reasons since then but I doubt that I'll ever try to make it look original.

On the other hand, the 1960s and 70s models that I bought as complete bikes are going to remain original - patina and all. The ones from those years that I've built up as bare frames are mostly period correct too.

Back in the early 70s, many if not most Gitane Tour de France owners swapped out the Simplex Criterion derailleurs for Campy or Suntour models plus many got Brooks Pro or Brooks B17 saddles.

The American tradition of customizing cars quickly spread to bikes during the Bike Boom era. So for me, period correct component upgrades do not detract from a bike meant to ride.

Just don't repaint a perfectly good frame! Evil or Very Mad

The French made bikes to ride, not look at! Cool

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
scozim
OK - so what about painting a different make of french bike metallic blue and adding Gitane decals. Wink Very Happy Not sure that my dad would be real happy but I like Gitane so much I may have to pull a "Nicolas" with the bike.

Scott

Plus many more

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
That doesn't offend me. I don't care what you do with other makes!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
scozim wrote:
OK - so what about painting a different make of french bike metallic blue and adding Gitane decals. Wink Very Happy Not sure that my dad would be real happy but I like Gitane so much I may have to pull a "Nicolas" with the bike.

Scott

That's all cool, but just don't try to sell it later as a 'real' gitane. Recently there was an 'Interclub' for sale on eBay here in Oz, but it was very obviously one of the 85 lower end bikes with a re-spray. That's poor form, I reckon.

I have to admit that if money was inexhaustible, I would put together an awesome modern TT bike all painted up like a Delta. Cool

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Wisey wrote:
scozim wrote:

Scott

That's all cool, but just don't try to sell it later as a 'real' gitane. Recently there was an 'Interclub' for sale on eBay here in Oz, but it was very obviously one of the 85 lower end bikes with a re-spray. That's poor form, I reckon.

I have to admit that if money was inexhaustible, I would put together an awesome modern TT bike all painted up like a Delta. Cool

Nah, I wouldn't sell it as a Gitane. Heck, I seem to have a problem with not getting rid of bikes so it would most likely be in the stable for a very long time.

Plus many more

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Hey, I have that problem too. My missus calls it a 'disease'. But she's never told me to choose between her and the bikes. Perhaps it's because I showed her Chas' post where he replied to the old girl, "geez, I'm going to miss you" Laughing

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
Gtane
I feel it's all down to personal choice. For my machines, I'm all for original preservation, the chips, dings, rust spots, transfer peels, the lot. The life of the bicycle for all to see, showing lineage back to the day the frame or components were made with a graceful ageing as time goes by. Whether a bicycle is a showroom special or a rusty gate with odd pedals, cranks and all, they all have one common factor and that's that their owners would not be without them. That's what makes a bicycle a bicycle, the personal touch. Rather like a favourite pair of slippers or a special comfy chair, all good, all great, yet all very different and individual in their own way.

It's interesting to see some of the great machines of Coppi, Merckx, Anquetil and Bartali, and more besides, that have just been displayed since the last day they were raced.

My favourite line from The League Of Cycling Purity is 'Extra kudos is given for making bits by hand with a file in your shed.'

Good thread Chas, thanks.

Tim

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane