gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1970 TdF road test
1970 TdF road test 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Not sure if this has been posted before but it's a short road test from Bicycling Magazine in 1970 of the Gitane Tour de France.

http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=466

One on a Gitane tandem (and two other makes) - 1978

http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=625

Another Gitane Tour de France - 1976

http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=575

Tour de France - 1977

http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=600

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Re: 1970 TdF road test 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
verktyg
scozim wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted before but it's a short road test from Bicycling Magazine in 1970 of the Gitane Tour de France.
http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=466

We used to wait with baited breath for the latest bike magazines to arrive - more so than the latest copy of Playboy!

Looking back, you have to put these articles into perspective... In 1970 there really weren't that many folks in the US with a lot of experience riding 10 speed European bikes.

Many of these types of reviews where like d*** Clark's American Bandstand reviews of Rock-n-Roll songs... "I liked the beat and it was easy to dance to!"

The specifications were most frequently the pablum junk published by the importers/distributors who usually didn't know much about the bikes they were selling! The authors didn't say much about components and features even when they didn't match the test bike they were reviewing.

Lastly many of the reviewers were early hard core bike racers who had no clue about objective reportage vs. personal preferences and opinions based on the handful of Italian bikes that they'd ridden! Rolling Eyes

Don't get me wrong, I was a complete newbee back then too and I didn't get involved with these kind of bikes until several years later. After a few years of riding, repairing and selling these kinds of bikes, I was able to from better opinions of the the reviews based on personal experience.

scozim wrote:
One on a Gitane tandem (and two other makes) - 1978
http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=625

They didn't get into much detail on the Gitane... only "It was hard to dance to!"

Not to defend the Gitane but it was most likely an entry level "gas pipe" model and it's clear from the beginning that their preference was the Motobecane Tandem.

There was no comparison of costs...

scozim wrote:
Another Gitane Tour de France - 1976
http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=575

Better review.

scozim wrote:
Tour de France - 1977
http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=600

We had one of these Lucien Van Impe 1976 TdF bikes on display at our shop too. I had the same reaction. It looked like an off these ridden hard all Campy pro bike.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Because of this "road test" I actually bought my first TDF the following year. I still have the issue somewhere among the junk boxes.

Dan
Old Road Tests 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
verktyg
As I first stated, these reviews have to be viewed in historical perspective and I attempted to do this.

I have a collection of bike reviews like these and re-reading some of them - WHAT!!! Shocked

These tests where better than nothing so were some of the buyers guides and reviews but don't use them as the gospel for specifications, ride and handling. Remember, these were opinions by self appointed experts who had some writing skills, a few years of bike experience and lived near where these magazines and books were published.

Sometimes the pictures were the best part of the review especially if they were actual pictures of the bike being tested and not promotional shots provided by the distributor.

Another thing was that the year model given by the distributors were frequently inaccurate. Models didn't change much during the bike boom era from 1970-74 and many distributors/importers where not really into bikes but just trying to turn a fast buck on the bike boom fad.

A bike is a bike is a bike! Rolling Eyes At the peak of the boom, you could sell anything called a 10 speed faster than you could put it together!

Lastly, the cost of admission for getting a bike magazine review was usually a free bike! For the larger companies this was just an advertising cost! For smaller ones on a shoestring budget this was too much so there were lots of good bikes that no one ever heard of.

There was also the advertising factor. Companies that bought a lot of ink tended to get more and better reviews.

BTW, most bike writers were in love with Fuji bikes. They raved about every model from 32+ lb. gaspipe specials on up. The big difference that Fuji had over most European bikes during the bike boom was their Suntour derailleurs!
Re: Old Road Tests 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:
I have a collection of bike reviews like these and re-reading some of them - WHAT!!! Shocked

These tests where better than nothing so were some of the buyers guides and reviews but don't use them as the gospel for specifications, ride and handling. Remember, these were opinions by self appointed experts who had some writing skills, a few years of bike experience and lived near where these magazines and books were published.
Chas.
==============
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF Foil Decal
1974 TdF Yellow Decal
1984 TdF x 2
1970s SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

Does not seem to have discouraged you very much though.

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
In 1970 I was only 13 and could hardly read anyway so this (TDF) looked pretty nice especially compared to my just bought huge red Gitane Gran Sport.

The Gran Sport was a revelation in comparison to my old brown Schwinn Varsity. Except that...The Schwinn topped 55 mph going down hill as recorded on the Huret speedo but it needed to be trucked up hill-which is what we did.

The Schwinn was the most stable highspeed downhill bike ever since it weighed a ton and rode like an american car on the freeway (hands-off). On this tank, the speedo topped out (60) coming down out of the Santa Cruz mountains on Hwy 9 and the infamous Hwy 17.

The Gran Sport got hit by a car turning into me while I was stopped at a light so it died young.

All bikes dead and buried except the nice one.

Dan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
scozim
verktyg wrote:
As I first stated, these reviews have to be viewed in historical perspective and I attempted to do this.

These tests were better than nothing so were some of the buyers guides and reviews but don't use them as the gospel for specifications, ride and handling. Remember, these were opinions by self appointed experts who had some writing skills, a few years of bike experience and lived near where these magazines and books were published.

BTW, most bike writers were in love with Fuji bikes. They raved about every model from 32+ lb. gaspipe specials on up. The big difference that Fuji had over most European bikes during the bike boom was their Suntour derailleurs!

Funny, I read Bicycling and Road Bike Action these days and sometimes I feel like not much has changed. Similar thing in the auto magazines. Hardly a negative word to be said about the bikes/cars being reviewed and if there is a negative comments it's such a soft one it doesn't matter.

From a historical perspective it's nice to read these. There were a couple on that website on the Teledyne Titan (of which I have one) and I'll be reading those for fun this afternoon.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:

Does not seem to have discouraged you very much though.
Jay

Don't do what I say, do what I do! Laughing

Eye's wide shut...

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC