gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Rear Axle Question.
Rear Axle Question. 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
Flammer
I picked up my Gitane, identified as a '74 to 76 Gypsy, and discovered the rear axle is in two parts. It was held together largely with good will and grease. I'm not at all distressed as I intend to use this bike to learn about older velos. So, with what type of axle do I replace it?
Rear axle 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Is it a French built Gypsy or a Taiwanese made Gypsy Sport?

Gypsy

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1975_pg1.jpg

Gypsy Sport:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1976_pg3.jpg

The Gypsy was an "economy" model of the Gran Sport. It used Atom brand small flange nutted hubs.

The solid rear axles were know to break quite frequently. They were pretty poor quality.

They were threaded 9.5mm x 1.0mm by 160mm long and used the same cones as the Normandy quick release hubs. The hollow quick release axles were 9.5mm x 1.0mm by 133mm long. You might have an easier time finding a QR axle.

Any bike shop that's been in business since the 1970s should have a replacement axle since millions of bike boom era bikes came with Atom/Normandy hubs. If it's not an Atom hub, you are probably SOL!

Before wasting a lot of time on chasing down a replacement axle make sure that the cups in the hub are in good condition. A bike ridden any distance with a broken axle could have damaged cups.

Also check the alignment of the dropouts. Misaligned dropouts are a major cause of bent or broken axles.

It might be easier finding a complete 27" rear wheel. Another option would be to find a complete old French bike that you can cannibalize. You can find them for $10 to $25 on Craigslist, the Salvation Army and other thrift outlets.

One other thing, replace all of the cables and cable housings plus the brake blocks.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
Flammer
Merci buckets! Would this be the one?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350271951911&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's not that easy or cheap to pick up Gitane stuff in Oz. The seller received 'hate emails' because I bought the bike the morning it was listed! Laughing The prices you guys quote are way less than some I've seen on ebay.com.au. $900 for a late 80s TdF.

Then again, we are about the only OECD nation that doesn't have the arse out of its pants.
French Axles 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
verktyg
No, that axle was made for the Helicomatic hubs which where an early attempt at making a cassette hub. It probably has 10mm x 1.0mm threads so your cones wont fit on it.

I didn't realize that you were an Aussie (I was going to say Ocker until I looked up the meaning Embarassed )! Wink

Are the cones and cups OK? I'll check out some local shops that have old stock items.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica