gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane with honeycomb DOs
Gitane with honeycomb DOs 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
J e e p s
I posted on bikeforums.net and they told me to ask you guys. So here is my post :

Help identifying frame

Just bought a complete bike, campagnolo equiped (hubs, derailleurs, speed levers, cable guides). The seller, Jean Pichette, was a speed skating olympic athlete in the 80s and is a personnal friend of Louis Garneau. The bike was actually given to him by Louis Garneau for summer training purpose in the 80s. The frame has been repainted all blue at the time.

The seller told me the bike was originally yellow. It has vertical dropouts, it actually is the first time I see this kind of dropouts. Look like a spider web.

If someone could tell me what model it is ?

Thanks

here are the pics:

The Fork? 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have the fork? Can you post a picture of it.

What kind of headset does it have, post a picture of that too please.

What size is the seatpost?

Gitane may have sold different models in Canada than the US.

It looks like a 1974-75 Gitane Interclub or Tour de France frame.

Except for Campagnolo Tipo hubs on the Tour de France bikes, neither of these models would have had Campagnolo equipment. They may have been added after the bike was purchased.

The brazed-on rear derailleur cable stop on the chainstay is something that neither of these models would have had so that increases the mystery.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
J e e p s
Well thanks for the reply. I got to say that the seller told me it was a LeJEUNE, but no ones believe me on bikeforums.net. They all say it is a Gitane because of the DOs shape. Don't forget that the bike was owned by Louis Garneau at first, so it could be custom too.

For sure I'll post pics of the fork asap.

The seatpost is a26.4mm Campy.
Headset is 25x1 Campy, but the model is not written.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
J e e p s wrote:
...I got to say that the seller told me it was a LeJEUNE, but no ones believe me on bikeforums.net. They all say it is a Gitane because of the DOs shape. Don't forget that the bike was owned by Louis Garneau at first, so it could be custom too.
The seatpost is a26.4mm Campy.
Headset is 25x1 Campy, but the model is not written.

It's definitely a Gitane because of the distinctive shape of the swagged over seatstay tops.

The Huret honey comb dropouts first appeared in late 1973. I've seen VeloSolex bikes plus a British made Dawes equipped with them.

One advantage of the design was the derailleur hanger worked with the soon to be industry standard Campy style derailleurs plus the proprietary Huret and Simplex mounting systems.

Those dropouts were never very popular, in fact most people in cycling circles thought that they were ugly especially when compared to Campy style dropouts. Gitane stopped using them by the end of 1977.

It's not likely that it's a custom built frame because the Huret honey comb dropouts were not readily available to frame builders plus the stamped steel rear derailleur cable stop brazed onto the right chainstay was something mainly used on production bikes. Gitanes from the Interclub model up used clamp on cable stops.

It was not uncommon for owners to upgrade their components or even obtain a bare production frame and equip it with premium components.

The 26.4mm seatpost indicated that at least the 3 main tubes were Reynolds 531 tubing. A Campy headset would mean that it was a higher end model because of the longer steering tube need for the thicker headset.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Fork pics 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
J e e p s
Here are the pics you asked about the fork:

Huret

Nervor

Writting you talked about on the head lugs:

Forks 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Thanks for posting the photos of the forks. This style fork with a Nervex DuBois crown was only used on the top models of that era.

Whatever model this is, it was most likely never imported into the US.

The higher quality Gitane US models from that era all had the forks half chrome plated. This included Interclubs and TdFs. The 1974 and 75 TdFs had painted rear triangles. In 1976 the rear stays were half chrome plated too.

The bottom bracket looks like it's a Japanese made Sugino which interchanged with Campagnolo. What other parts are Campagnolo?

The numbers on the lugs just show the lug angles. The rest of the numbers have no relevance as far as we've determined on this Forum.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Campy parts 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
J e e p s
Here is the link for the Campy parts on bikeforums.net

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?697828-Campagnolo-Cinelli-Gran-Compe-Need-help-about-value

The brake levers are Gran Compe, the heandlebar 3TTT, stem 3TTT, cables are yellow.
Best Guess 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Here's my guess, it's one of 2 things:

1. It's a non US model Gitane Olympic bike from around 1977. These were all Campagnolo equipped except for MAFAC Competition brakes. Most Gitanes from that era that were built for the US market would have had chrome plated "socks" on the forks and rear triangle.

You don't show the headset. You mentioned that it's not marked with a brand name. ALL Campagnolo headsets have a brand mark on then somewhere. Campagnolo headsets required an 8mm longer steering tube than the Stronglight P3 headsets. You can measure the steerer as shown in this picture. It should be 40mm to 42mm above the head tube.

If steerer is around 35mm above the head tube then it takes the shorter Stronglight P3 headset and it's not an Olympic model. It would most likely be a Champion Du Monde or similar model.

I've seen a number of European bikes like this with no chrome plating. The frame is most likely Reynolds 531. Look into the bottom bracket and check to see if there are any seams inside the chainstay tubes. If there are then the frame isn't all Reynolds 531 and it's not an Olympic model either.

Before 1977 all of the better quality Gitanes used clamp on brake cable guides and rear derailleur cable stops. The 1978 Gitane catalog shows brazed on guides and stops. It also has different dropouts and seat stay tops.

The 1978 Olympic also lists 3TTT bars and stem. Earlier top model Gitanes used Cinelli bars and stems.

2. It's a pieced together bike with good quality components. It looks like an earlier model bike from 1974-76. The Sugino bottom bracket could have been used because French threaded Campagnolo bottom brackets were expensive and not that common.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Best Guess Continued 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Sometime the Forum software wont let someone post a reply to a message. I suspect that another viewer is looking at that message... Confused

Best Guess Continued:

There is a PATENT 74 stamped into the rear derailleur which indicated that it was made in 1974. There is also a date code inside the crank arms which is a number or 2 numbers inside a diamond.

Are you shopping for a value for this bike?

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
J e e p s
The headset is Campagnolo.

Of course I would like to know the possible value of this bike. I'm still debating on 1) Keeping it and powdercoat it vs. 2) Selling it.

Thanks again for your help and knowledge !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Powder-coating ruins lugged bicycles. I would advise against that at all costs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
J e e p s
sandranian wrote:
Powder-coating ruins lugged bicycles. I would advise against that at all costs.

I'll keep this in mind. What were the color choice at the time for this model ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1970_pg11.jpg

Re: Best Guess Continued 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
J e e p s
verktyg wrote:
Sometime the Forum software wont let someone post a reply to a message. I suspect that another viewer is looking at that message... Confused

Best Guess Continued:

There is a PATENT 74 stamped into the rear derailleur which indicated that it was made in 1974. There is also a date code inside the crank arms which is a number or 2 numbers inside a diamond.

Are you shopping for a value for this bike?

So, any idea what it might be worth ?
Value 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
$350 to $650 USD depending on how it looks when assembled - cleaned and polished with new decals and so on.

If the paint and decals were original and in very good condition plus the components looked very good it could bring more.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money repainting it if you plan on selling the bike.

For starters you'll rarely get back what you put into it plus repainted bikes rarely bring more than similar bikes in original condition.

Does the bike fit you? Do you ride much?

If the answer is yes, I'd suggest that you assemble it or have it assembled and try riding it for a while. You might be very surprised and decide to keep it, especially with it's background! Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica