gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane Professional SC for Sale in Salt Lake
Gitane Professional SC for Sale in Salt Lake 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
voncarlos
Hi All,
There is a Gitane Professional Super Corsa for sale in Salt Lake, it's through Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170593236916&fromMakeTrack=true
I live in Salt Lake and went to look at it, I was hoping that the seller got the size wrong, 22", but he got it correct and so it won't fit me. Although made in France (they use mm) I think the nominal size of 22" was used by American sellers back then. It's actually a few mm shy of 22".
Anyways, I think it's in pretty good shape considering, that I think, it's just been sitting in a garage for 10 to 30 years. I don't think it's been modified much, but I don't know very much about Gitane either. I think the water-bottle cage was added later and the bottom pump holder was moved to the seat-tube. Also I'm not sure if the stem was replaced at some point. The rear derailleur is stamped 71. I'm sorry but I forgot to look for the crank stamp and serial number. The seller doesn't know much about older bikes and I'm just trying to help him out and I'd like to see it go to someone who will keep it stock.
I myself have a '74 Alex SiNGER, so I can appreciate the beauty in these bikes.
I know it's late, but the auction ends tomorrow. And please, someone correct me if I've got something wrong here.
This is my first post here, and I have to say this is a really nice site.
Thanks for listening,
Carlos
Thanks for the heads up 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome and thanks for the heads up. I've been watching that bike too. The frame features would match the 1971 date code on the rear derailleur.

As mentioned, it's missing the brake calipers and pedals. Hope it goes to someone who wont "FIX' it, it ain't broke!

Some parts scalper will probably get it though and flip it for ~$700-$900. Crying or Very sad

BTW. Gitane (and most other French makers) measured frames from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube. These were all nominal dimensions:

50cm, 54cm, 57cm, 60cm, 62cm and 64cm

The NOMINAL inch equivalents were 19 1/2", 21 1/2", 22 1/2", 23 1/2", 24 1/2" and 25 1/2"

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica