gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane frame ID help needed
Gitane frame ID help needed 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
mcrane
I just aquired two Gitane's; one a TDF and the other a frameset. The frameset is approximately a 53cm frame (measured from center of BB to top of tube. It has the long cutout lugs on the frame with the honeycomb rear dropouts. The fork has chrome ends and crown. The frame is straight but I did notice the steerer tube is bent back a tad. I will speak with a local frame builder to ask about him straightening. From what I have read I thought the Interclub had short lugs and not cutout. I also thought the TDF and Super Coursa have the rear stays chromed. The bike was repainted and I am currently in the process of stripping to bare metal.

Anybody who can help me identify this bike I would greatly appreciate. I am lost for concluding the exact frame this is since it was repainted and does not have decals to assist in identifying.

Thanks and I look forward to replies.
Mike

1977 Peugeot PY10
1965 Peugeot PX10
2000 Bianchi Daytona
1986 Gitane Tandem
1970 Gitane TDF (in process of restoring)
1974 Gitane TDF (frame and fork only)
1986 Ciocc
I think it's a 74-76 TDF 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
gmany
Around 74-76 they switched to the Huret dropouts and were also 3 tubes Reynolds 531 and I don't think they had chromed rear stays.

You've got the droputs and don't appear to have 531 stays, since the 531 stays normally have a fillet treatment at the tips, not rounded over.

Someone far more knowledgeable than me will fill-in/correct what I've written soon.

Interclub or TdF 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Mike,

What does the fork crown look like?

Some Interclubs between 1974 and 76 used these Nervex crowns. Notice the medium point Bocama lugs.

Perhaps a little later Interclub with a Nervex Dubois crown and same Bocama lugs.

This is my 1975 TdF with a sloping Nervex fork crown and long point Bocama Super Professional lugs.

This is a brand new NOS mid 70s Interclub with the 3 main tubes made of butted Reynolds 531 tubing. It also appears to have the cutouts in the long point Bocama Super Professional lugs. This particular bike may have been assembled by Gitane Pacific in the US from a bare frame I also think that GP may have used the TdF frames on some Interclubs. Notice the showroom hang tag.

gmany pointed out the TdF frames "usually' have the fish mouthed ends on the forks and stays but not all of them. The ones built in 1976 with all Reynolds 531 tubing and 1/2 chromed rear stays probably do.

My 1974 TdF with Huret honeycomb rear dropouts and non Reynolds domed ends on the forks and rear triangle.

A 1976 all Reynolds TdF with the fish mouth stay ends.

If you look into the bottom bracket you will see seams inside the chainstays. Reynold 531 tubes were all seamless.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Interclub or TdF Continued 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I sometimes run into problems when I post a novella... Confused

Continuation of my previous post:

Several other points, TdFs used Stronglight P3 headsets, Interclubs used Gitane headsets. TdFs most likely would have Stronglight bottom brackets whereas Interclubs used Sugino Maxy and Nervar cranks and bottom brackets.

Either way it should be a nice bike.

Hope that this helps a little.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro