gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Greetings from the Netherlands
Greetings from the Netherlands 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
flying dutchman
Hi there,

Yesterday i bought this Gitane from the 70ties and i am new in the vintage cycleworld so i like to ask you experts some quistions.

First i thought it was the same bike as shown on the 1970 catalog (Interclub) but i don't have IC on my frontfork.

Can you guys tell me what kind of bike i have?

I also saw a tubes Flash decal on the seatpost and already read here that it doesn't mean it has to be made from bad tubes.

I discovered this forum yesterday but i already learned a lot, i did not find any information here in europe.

Grtz

Jurgen
European Model? 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to the Forum,

Gitane used those Mylar foil decals from 1968 until mid 1974. I haven't been able to find out much about "Flash" tubing but it was apparently decent quality used on European Gitanes during the 1960s.

The stem, seatpost, saddle, pedals, brake levers and Suntour rear derailleur are not original. The front wheel is probably a replacement too as it would have been large flange like the rear. The bike may have originally been equipped with tubular tires.

The frame has medium point Bocama Professional lugs plus 16mm seat stays and a Nervex fork crown so it may have been a competitive model. Competitive models almost always had a silver foil seat tube decal.

The other odd thing, it appears to have forged steel dropouts with an integral derailleur hanger.

The blue seat tube decal could be a replacement. Same thing with the Sugino Maxi crankset.

Interesting "batard"... Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
flying dutchman
Thanks for the info, i will make some picture of some things that i don't understand.

There is a decal on the right side of the upper tube and it says SC and on the dropouts you can read Campagnolo but al the models i have seen have chrome dropouts and forks?

No big plans with the bike, make it original so far i can and make sure he is technical ok and enjoy it.
Greetings from the Netherlands 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane