gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » COULD IT BE DONE? I would love to fix up this bike...HELP!
COULD IT BE DONE? I would love to fix up this bike...HELP! 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:30 am Reply with quote
noob1224
Hello Enthusiasts,
I am a student in west chester, Pennsylvania and I recently aquired this bright orange Gitane. I'm wondering what YOUR opinon is of what it is, because the foil has long been removed off the seat post. I'm thinking either a '73 Interclub or '73 Tour de L'avenir judging by the shape of the crankset.
Now I upload photos...:

I'll call her citrus breeze

The front brake is missing the yoke.

Derailleur gear pieces/guides are very worn. Anyone know if I can buy just those pieces? I want to keep the simplex.

Sugino Cranks. For some reason, I cannot switch from the small gear to the large one (possible gear wear, or a cable adjustment issue?).

Very worn as i stated....

If I order 27 x 1 1/4 tires online, will they fit my rims?

Alright, there you go. I'm not a collector but could definately use some help getting this bike in working order, due to the fact that it is a bit obscure and I suspect that bike shops in my area cannot properly diagnose a bike that isn't less than ten years old.
IF you have any questions let me know maybe i can upload some better, larger pictures.
and THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
lofter
http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-Gitane-FOIL-decal-sets-complete-3-choices-/300525070034?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f8b0a6d2

hear is some decals ,the paint dont look bad we'll have to dig deeper on the conponets, yokes are no big deal and just search simplex derailleur on ebay. ive seen those derailleurs before. might need new cables they could be streched or just need adjusted.
Re: COULD IT BE DONE? I would love to fix up this bike...HEL 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
noob1224 wrote:
I'm thinking either a '73 Interclub or '73 Tour de L'avenir judging by the shape of the crankset.

It's about a 73 Interclub with second generation Sugino Maxy cranks. The large chainrings on the first generation Sugino Maxy cranks were swagged directly onto the crank arms and not replaceable.

Look for a shop with experience working on old bikes (OLD FRENCH BIKES).

Figure on at least $100 to get it running correctly.

The components that you have can be used until they break, why spend the extra money on replacements until you need them.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote
noob1224
Thanks for the replys. The only MAJOR problem, I figured after putting new tires and tubes on and riding the bike, is that the tires like to rest against the frame. I think my wheels need to be tuned a bit or something. As you can tell I'm not too experienced but thank you for your input, it helps me a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
noob1224

Them pulley teeth are ripped!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
lofter
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Simplex-Rear-Derailleur-5-Speed-Road-Used-/130524377316?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e63dbf0e4

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-Simplex-Prestige-rear-derailleur-5-10-speed-/140550374274?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b9748382
COULD IT BE DONE? I would love to fix up this bike...HELP! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane