gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » My new bike
My new bike 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
King Bongo
Hi Everyone, this is my first post here and I just wanted to show off my new bike. From what I gather from the catalogues it is a 1985 Defi, it was given to me by a friend who had it in his garage for many years and never road it. I would like to restore it a bit to get it looking a little more like the original, with the yellow tape and seat, and I would like to find some original pedals. I have only had it for a few weeks and so far it has been a fun bike ti ride around.

Hopefully I have added the image ok, so you all can see it.

Thanks and any feedback on this bike would be appreciated.

Sean
Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Hi Sean

Looks like the bike is in pretty good condition and mostly original. I can't remember if the Defi had yellow Cateye cloth tape like the Victoire (model below) or yellow Benotto plastic tape like the three models above. Either would be good enough, so choose your preference. I suspect it had cloth tape. The saddle was a yellow Mundialita. Good luck with that one. There are several NOS Mundialita saddles on ebay for absurd prices, and none in yellow (I have been watching for about 5 years and haven't seen one). However, you should be able to pick up a yellow Turbo for a fair price. This would be a nice upgrade and was the saddle used on the Professional (top of 85 range). The other option would be a yellow Selle Italia Lazer (used on the Performance). Chrome wire bottle cage and plain yellow bottle shouldn't be too hard. The seat post should be chrome rather than black. It should be a 26.8mm, but make sure you measure it before you buy. The black and yellow stripe decals have been removed from the fork which is a bummer as there are no reproduction decals available for this model. However, the Reynolds 453 decal that sits above the gear levers on the down tube is available from Greg at Cyclemondo on ebay. I know because he did the artwork specifically for a Defi that I did as a reno. The pedals you need are triangular shape Malliard ones with Christophe toe clips. I'll post a photo. It looks like you still have the original brake cable housing. This is probably a bit gummy by now, if not outright rusty on the inside. These old cable housings didn't have the plastic/teflon liner running inside the casing core like modern cables have. Jagwire do some nice coloured cables, but don't have a yellow that is quite right. Shimano have started doing coloured cables again and the yellow looks pretty good in the photos, but I haven't seen it in the flesh as yet.

Anyway, enjoy your project. You should probably consider replacing all the bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket to start fresh. If you run free balls is will only cost a couple dollars and really freshen up the bike.

Please lower your stem at least one inch as well. It is dangerously high in that photo.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Wisey on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
This is my 85 Defi, post renovation. The internal cable guides for the brake cable on the top tube were rusted our requiring me to replace the top tube altogether. Hence the complete reno.

(having some trouble uploading photos today)

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Wisey

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Reynolds-453-French-frame-decal-/300438107118?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f381b3ee#ht_500wt_826

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
King Bongo
Your bike looks great. thanks for all input and info, I appreciate your advice.

Sean
Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
Wisey
No worries Sean.

Please post some more photos as you clean her up. Oh, and welcome to the forum! Very Happy

Delta Dreamin'
My new bike 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane