gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Chas, lofter, sandranian and others... opinions please
Chas, lofter, sandranian and others... opinions please 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Gypsy
Hey everyone. So In my search to find a TdF in my size I recently came across this eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gitane-Tour-France-bike-Campagnolo-upgrades-/320745209728?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item4aade77f80

Any opinions or red flags? Need your esteemed opinions. I would prefer "all French" but nice ones in my size are few and far between. Thanks everyone.

Ken
Redwood Falls, MN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Gypsy
gmany, sorry for the slight. Your opinions are HIGHLY valued too. All of your your expertise combined will help me in my quest. Cheers and happy miles.

Ken
Redwood Falls, Minnesota
1971 TdF 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
That's a beautiful example of an almost all original ~1971 TdF. It has Campy derailleurs which was very a common upgrade back then.

If an owner could afford Campy derailleurs they switched to them. If not they changed to Suntour for about 25% of the cost of Campy derailleurs (and better shifting too).

It's in better condition than my 1969 TdF. Cool

There is some very light rust on some of the chrome parts that will easily clean up with some 3xxx steel wool. The few chips and scratches can be easily be touched up with automotive touch-up paint.

White is very easy to touch-up.

The first thing that most owners did was get rid of that plastic torture device and put on a Brooks or Ideale leather saddle, way before they considered derailleurs!

Imagine this scenario:

Saturday afternoon in mid 1971 or 72, a customer walks into a bike shop for an impulse buy. The customer want the best bike in the shop. They do a vanity upgrade to Campy derailleurs. After a few very uncomfortable rides because of the plastic saddle plus maybe some sewup flats, the bike gets put away, never to be ridden again! Crying or Very sad

That's how some of these cherry bikes end up on eBay.

I'm guessing that it's an early 1971 because it has the willow leaf seat stay caps plus the brazed-on rear brake cable bridge at the top of the seat stays. The other thing, earlier models had Normandy Luxe Competition hubs. Gitane switched to Campy Nuovo Tipo hubs probably because of delivery problems.

If you get it, I'll gladly swap you straight across for a nice set of Simplex Criterium derailleurs. I don't want the Nuovo Tipo wheels! Twisted Evil

If I didn't already have a house full of early 70s Gitane TdFs and SCs I'd be very interested in this bike.

BTW, this is one of those TdFs that came with Campy rear dropouts. It's a TdF not a Super Corsa! It has a Stronglight P3 headset not a Campy and that's the difference between models. I bet the front dropouts are Huret or Simplex.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
lofter
im not much help as i really am lost when it comes to the older bikes. heck i still dont know what year my anquetiel bike is although i have a idea now Wink chas is really good at identifying the older stuff . i would take his opinion anydaay and not even think twice . myself im the 80s bike dude or saint dude lets see that pic again chas Wink what a gem you are chas Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil nice bike nice bits and parts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Gypsy
Thank you my oracles. I have commenced bidding. Now, let's hope the reserve isn't something exhorbinant. I REALLY want a TdF, but I am not going to pay Colnago/DeRosa prices for one.
TdF Prices 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Gypsy wrote:
Thank you my oracles. I have commenced bidding. Now, let's hope the reserve isn't something exhorbinant. I REALLY want a TdF, but I am not going to pay Colnago/DeRosa prices for one.

It should go for about $500, maybe $600 tops because of the Campy derailleurs.

Good luck... Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:06 am Reply with quote
scozim
Good luck - super nice bike.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Didn't reach reserve bid 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
The auction closed at $583 but didn't reach the reserve.

The high bid was within my guesstimate of $500 - $600.

We'll see where it goes if it gets relisted.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Gypsy
I really wanted that bike but it was just out of my reach with shipping. My size too. Here is hoping that the Spirit of France (Lindberg pun) is with me on my TdF quest. The Mrs. won't budge on $500 (including shipping). God bless her, otherwise I would be living ing a tarpaper shack, stinking of urine and alcohol and having nothing but a few awesome bikes (or so she says) Wink

The fun is in the quest (I think, or at least tell myself to feel better).

Happy Miles
Ken
Redwood Falls, Minnesota
Chas, lofter, sandranian and others... opinions please 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane