PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
Gitane clone by another maker?

http://annonces.ebay.fr/viewad/cadre-velo-course-acier-reynolds-531-/5038972241

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Maybe rebadged by this shop:

http://www.cyclesrebour.com/

which is about 100 kilometers from the seller and around since 1966??

Looks like my Blue Olympic/TDF

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Frenchbuilt wrote:
Maybe rebadged by this shop:

http://www.cyclesrebour.com/

which is about 100 kilometers from the seller and around since 1966??
Looks like my Blue Olympic/TDF

That's probably the case.

I've seen a number of frames and bikes from French sellers on US eBay that were rebadged with local French bike shop decals.

There is or was a 1974-5 Gitane TdF on eBay with Nancia decals.

http://tinyurl.com/3sz8b6p

I wrote the seller and suggested that the frame was a Gitane TdF and he responded:

"Hello,
I don't know !!!! it's possible !!!!, but NANCIA is frame fabrik to Nancy (France)."

I've also seen both Gitane and Bertin frames with Urago decals but they still had the original head tube badges.

Urago had a large bike shop in Nice, France that made high end bikes. During the bike boom of the early 70s they private labeled their lower end models. Eventually they switched their focus from bikes to mopeds, scooters and motorcycles.

Maybe French shops chose to rebadge Gitanes because the decals were easy to remove (when new)??? Confused

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:55 am Reply with quote
tchikiboum92
Mr. Gitane had always schyzo identity problems:

Genesis: Gitane bicycles
In the early 60ies: factory called MICMO with brand Gitane
In the 70ies & early 80ies ,there was a monopolistic bike dealer in the SudOuest (SW of France): so in this area Gitanes were exclusively rebadged PYRENEA !!!

Bertin was bikes factory AND Milremo parts AND Shimano importer for France, they survived to crisis when they built for the one&only major supermarkets Decathlon.
Nowadays, at the same address, you see Shimano France HQ & Elite...Shimano absorbed Bertin.

Urago was first cyclist professional before being reseller
All champions have had their own headbadge & brand issued from major bicycles makers (very often from Mercier, from Bertin, from StarNord-Bernard Dangre, very few times from Peugeot, never Motobec')

visit my french-speaking cycle blog
http://velos-mont-valerien.over-blog.com/
Aider moi s.v.p. si possible?? 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Très intéressent votre blog.

Il y a quelque mois que j'ai mis sur le forum une vélo que j'avait
construit.

J'ai acheté uniquement le cadre et les autres pièces pour faire une Gitane
comme dans le fin de 1990's. (sauf mektronic)

Cadre fait comme prototype avec éléments de conception Delta.

Je cherche toujours le histoire de cette vélo et peut-être vous avez une

idée?

Voir link

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1970

Merci, Dan

Hi I am just asking this new member if he can help me to ID my bike.
He has a nice blog which you probably know already
Look at the middle photo 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
gmany
In the middle photo it appears the tab to retain the clamp-on shift lever is on the underside, not the top. Also, shouldn't the lugs be short point by the mid-late 70's.

Unless these are common on the mid-late 70's bikes (I only own an early 70's TDF) these two features don't quite match Gitane to me.

Re: Look at the middle photo 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
gmany wrote:
In the middle photo it appears the tab to retain the clamp-on shift lever is on the underside, not the top. Also, shouldn't the lugs be short point by the mid-late 70's.

Unless these are common on the mid-late 70's bikes (I only own an early 70's TDF) these two features don't quite match Gitane to me.

Gitane put the shift lever stop on the top side of the down tube until the model changes in 1974. I checked all of my pre-1974 TdFs and Super Corsas and thats where it's located.

My 1969 TdF with Prugnat S4 long point "Italian style" lugs with the stop on the top of the down tube.

This is my early 1974 TdF with foil decals and medium point Bocama lugs. the lever stop is on the top side of the down tube too.

About 1972 Gitane changed the lugs on the TdFs from long point Prugnat to medium point Bocama lugs. The Super Corsa and all of the models above the TdF continued using long point lugs.

Here's a 1974 Champion Du Monde frame that I sold. Notice there's no shift lever stop on the down tube and there are cut outs in the Bocama Super Professional long point lugs (Bocama lugs have reinforcing rings around the top and bottom of the head tube lugs). The frame was all Reynolds 531.

This is my 1974 Tour de France. The 1974-75 TdF models for the US market had only the 3 main tubes made of Reynolds 531 tubing and there was no chrome on the rear triangle.

The shift lever stop was moved under the down tube. The lugs are long point Prugnat S4 style with a different shaped cut outs than the Bocama lugs on the Champion Du Monde above.

In 1976 TdFs were again made with all Reynolds 531 tubing and the rear triangle was chrome plated like the pre 1974 models.

Gitane used long point lugs on most of their top of the line bikes until the early 80s when they switched to medium and short point lugs.

1976 Super Olympic

1979 Gitane Team Bike

The lugs are not cut out on the bike in question.

http://annonces.ebay.fr/viewad/cadre-velo-course-acier-reynolds-531-/5038972241

Here's another mid 70s TdF with the same kind on Bocama Professional long point lugs without cutouts. Notice, It's got a different style Nervex fork crown too.

About 1972-73 Gitane started using Sugino Mighty Competition cranks instead of Stronglight 93 cranks. It was probably due to delivery problems from Stronglight. When the bike boom ended in mid 1974, the "new" 1974 models introduced mid year again came with Stronglight 93 cranks.

In the European market 1974-75-76 TdFs came with Stronglight or Sugino cranks, MAFAC Racer, Competition (both old and new style) or 2000 brakes, Simplex Criterium, Huret Challenger or Success derailleurs and even a few with Jubilee derailleurs.

Some had Campagnolo Nuovo Tipo high flange hubs and others high or low flange Normandy Luxe Competition hubs. They had Mavic Module-E 700c clinchers with Michelin Elan tires or sewups. In the US TdFs came with 27" Mavic Module-E clinchers with 27x1 Elan tires.

During the 70s and 80s Gitane, Peugeot, Motobecane and even Raleigh in the UK made slightly or completely different models for for specific markets e.g. France, the Netherlands, Germany, the UK, the US and even Canada, plus the East Bloc countries like Poland and Hungary.

So, it's not easy to make generalizations about these bikes, only educated guesses.

BTW, The frame in question IS a 1974 or 75 Gitane TdF or similar model. Gitane was one of the few companies that used the Huret honeycomb rear dropouts plus the distinctive swagged seat stay tops. Those features along with the Bocama lugs and Nervex Dubois crown say Gitane.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica