gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Help to identify model?
Help to identify model? 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
tagman21
Today I picked this bike out of a trash pile and I got excited after I started to read the names on the components... Sella Italia, Christophe, Solida.

I read the history page and understand that not much can be derived from the serial numbers, and that Gitane used parts that were available when doing the builds.

Can anyone tell me what year that this (Team Pro Replica?) is?

And if you think that any of the parts have been swapped out, besides the rigged bottle holder? Smile

Here are some pics... I can take more if you need something specific to identify, please let me know. I appreciate all of the help in advance!!!

1984 Gitane Super Challenge 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to the forum.

Your new found bike looks like a 1984 Gitane Super Challenge.

Click on the picture when it loads to see a larger view.
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1984/Page_06.jpg

Here the Spec List for 1984 Gitanes.
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1984/Page_08.jpg

Your bike has a lugless frame rather than lugged construction used on the higher priced models. It's made of plain carbon steel tubing instead of alloy steel tubes.

In the early 80s the French bike makers Gitane, Peugeot and Motobecane started making furnace brazed lugless frames for their lower priced models.

The frames were brazed en masse in a large furnace which lowered production costs over hand brazed lugged frames done one at a time.

The bike is listed at 25 Lbs. so it should be fun to ride.

A word of caution, the stem is TO HIGH!

It should be inserted at least 60mm (~2 1/4") into the steering tube (top of the fork).

Cleaned up, the bike should look great. Cool

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
thank you! 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
tagman21
Thanks so much Chas. And thanks for the tip on the post, I noticed that there was a line, I'll have to pop it back down. Looks like whoever had it was pretty tall being that the seat was so high up.

You've also got me super intrigued so I was wondering if you wouldn't mind a few other questions...

I'm guessing this bike was originally offered with the yellow Benotto grips? Or do you think the owner changed out the black grips it to make it look more like the Team Pro?

Also, Lugged vs. Lugless? Where should I be looking to see the difference? Forgive me, I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to bikes and riding.

Lastly, what do you think the cost of the bike was at retail in 84?
And what's would it be worth now if I cleaned it up, polish, new grips, chain, tires/tubes? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to refurbish to ride. I'm figuring it's going to cost me $150 to get it into safe and workable condition.

This is a great site and resource. I've learned a lot about Gitane in the 24 hours that I've had the bike.

Thanks again!

Tom
Re: thank you! 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
tagman21 wrote:
I'm guessing this bike was originally offered with the yellow Benotto grips? Or do you think the owner changed out the black grips it to make it look more like the Team Pro?

The catalog shows black bar tape. Benotto cellophane bar tape was the hot ticket back then. Changing handlebar tape was an easy way to customize your bike.

When I was growing up in the 50s we put playing cards in our spokes to make a fluttering noise... Confused

tagman21 wrote:
Also, Lugged vs. Lugless? Where should I be looking to see the difference?

Frames were brazed together with brass or bronze brazing material that melted at a lower temperature than the steel tubing and joined the tubes together when it cooled and hardened. Some high end bikes were made with silver brazing alloy mistakenly called silver solder.

Lugs are metal reinforcements that fit over the tubes where they join each other and are held in place with brazing alloy.

Ideally the tube ends are mitered so that they fit up against each other. Here's a head tube from a top name Italian bike that has been cut in half to show the mitering and brass penetration into the inside of the joint.

Lugless frames were made in several ways.

Most older Schwinn frames were lugless and had built up fillets of brass around all of the tube joints. This link shows how it was done:

http://sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html

In the early 80s the big 3 French bike companies started using furnace brazing to produce lugless frames.

The process has been around for a long time. Preformed brazing alloy pieces are placed between the tubes and they're held together in a jig.

When the tubes were heated sufficiently in a furnace, the brazing preforms melt and join the tubes. When it cools down it makes a solid joint.

Here's an explanation of Motobecane's furnace brazing process (which was the same as Gitane and Peugeot used). Click on picture to see the whole view.

tagman21 wrote:
Lastly, what do you think the cost of the bike was at retail in 84? And what's would it be worth now if I cleaned it up, polish, new grips, chain, tires/tubes? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to refurbish to ride. I'm figuring it's going to cost me $150 to get it into safe and workable condition.

Here's the 1983 Gitane price list. Your bike had a list price of $229.00. In 1984 it may have been a few dollars more.

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1983_DealerPriceList_2.jpg

Bikes like yours regularly sell on Craigslist and eBay for $50 to $200.

A suggestion, clean it up a little and adjust it so than everything works safely. Ride it for a little bit and decide whether you like it enough to put $150 into it.

If so, do it. You'll have an uncommon classic bike that will be fun to ride. Be careful though, you may get the bug and look for a higher priced model. Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica