gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Update on my $42.00 Hosteler
Update on my $42.00 Hosteler 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
modelmartin
About a year ago I found this Hosteler at a local bike shop that is a charity operation that provides bikes to kids and to adults who need them for transportation. I posted a few pics then and asked for help IDing the thing. I thought you might want to see what happened to it! I do appreciate the advice I got on this forum to keep as much originality as possible. I found this bike while I was looking for a Peugeot frame and originally thought I could subsitute this one! That would have really cheesed a few folks off - this bike being dressed up as a Peugeot! I have come to really dig its originality.

It was quite neglected but basically sound. I stripped off an ancient folding wood and metal child seat and about 50 "Spokey-Dokey" plastic balls. It started to look a bit better! I got some new tires and tubes, found some good, used brake hoods and put on some barwrap. I cleaned and regreased the wheel bearings and BB. I did find the original leather seat back at the shop but it is stiff and my mid-50s posterior preferred the seat shown in the pics which came off a low-end Raleigh. I cleaned up some of the chrome and started cleaning the fenders. It rides great! I did not touch the brakes or cables and they work great. I love old center-pulls! I have a lot of fun riding this thing, now. I hope to rewire and get the lighting system working again. It is just a bit small for me so I won't do any long rides with it.

I love the old 1964 Minneapolis bike license on it. This bike is a true survivor and I decided to honor it's long life by keeping all of its personality intact!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
ozbike
Great find Martin
Love the bike and what you have done with it.
I have been looking for a bike like that myself to do some touring on. I think these models are starting to become quite fashionable again, and the Ebay prices seem to reflect this. Especialy the old Peugeot's they are getting good prices for those.
Enjoy your find.
Rob...

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane