gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » TVT Trivia
TVT Trivia 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
In the Peloton Magazine Video feature "The Pillars of French Cycling", they interview the guy who invented the original Time pedal as well as the guy who started TVT frames.

Why am I posting this? Well, we've had numerous discussions on this forum about TVT frames and how they relate to possible prototype Gitane carbon frames, the Hinault frames ridden by La Vie Claire, and the LeMond frames ridden by Greg in 1989 and beyond.

The interview highlights that when Time decided to expand from pedals and shoes and get into the frame business, they brought the TVT guy on board and absorbed TVT into the Time brand.

So, that's what happened to TVT and why they suddenly disappeared. Perhaps others already knew this little bit of trivia, but I had never heard this before.

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
trois tubes
I love Trivia!!!

Do you know who made the steel bikes for La Vie Claire in 1984?

I've heard from different sources:
Motobecane
Lejeune
Scapin
Cyfac

or is it none of the above?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
In his book "Road Racing" that was co-written with his mechanic, it states that Hinault's (La Vie Claire) steel bikes were built by the mechanic. I have no idea about the rest of the bikes. It seems though that the silver painted bikes with aluminium lugs that most of us have assumed were aluminium frames were in fact TVT carbon frames (painted silver). I thinks it's interesting that in 1989 (in the Tour de Trump) LeMond was riding an unmarked white TT bike that looked suspiciously similar to the Look TT bike he was riding in 86. Perhaps it was a custom job that was just badged as a Look? We'll never know, but it's fun to raise wild speculation! Twisted Evil

Delta Dreamin'
TVT Trivia 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane