gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » From cottered to cotterless : help needed .
From cottered to cotterless : help needed . 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Christophe
Hi ! i'm seriously thinking replacing the three arms cottered crank of my interclub by a cotterless one. The main reason is I already have a period correct sugino maxy crank and its square tape BB from an unused bike I stripped down. The 110 BCD would enable me to use low gearing ( as low as 33 teeth ) if necessary.

The problem is I failed to remove the sugino BB fixed ( right ) cups so far. It is of the 36 mm wrench flats type. I tried the vise, as well as the late Sheldon magic home made tool, with zero success. I think I should get the special park tools wrench if I really want to succeed.

Well, on my cottered crank, the fixed cup seems to be the same type as on my sugino BB : a 36 mm wrench flat type. So .... here's my question :
Do I really need to remove both fixed cups ? Or would the bearings of a cotterless sugino BB fit in the fixed cup of a cottered crank ?
Not having to remove them would save me time, the cost of special wrench, and the risk of damaging my frame.

Any experience appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
scozim
I just went this route with another French bike. I re-used the original cups (didn't remove the fixed cup). But, because they were a little thinner I had to go with an Italian (70mm) bb spindle.

I used a 5S-B axle that was 117.5 mm. I was going to use a NOS 70's Shimano tourney crankset but the axle wasn't long enough and the arms bottomed out on the cranks. I switched to a Campagnolo crankset and it worked perfectly. At 144bcd, I can't go as low as you want to.

Scott

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
From cottered to cotterless : help needed . 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane