gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Remove my Freewheel!?
Remove my Freewheel!? 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
tagman21
I am starting some spring cleaning on the '84 Super Challenge that I dug out of a dumpster last year.

I took the rear wheel off today and took a look inside the freewheel and saw what's in the picture included. It has 24 splines and I'm having a hard time finding a modern tool that will remove it. I found a link to a Normandy/Malliard freewheel removal tool, but the product description is vague.

Anyone know where I could find a removal tool? Or do you guys think that my LBS would still have a tool?

Thanks!
duh 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
tagman21
I actually didn't see the Malliard name on the sprocket until I just looked at the enlarged image on the site. I took the picture with my iPhone and it always flips the image for some reason when I put it on my pc or email them.

I'd still take some advice if anyone out there has any experience with this freewheel type.

Thanks again!
Normandy Freewheel 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
You have a Normandy freewheel.

These were ubiquitous on European lower end bikes from at least the early 70s until the late 80s.

Any bike shop worth its salt (or pepper) should have a remover for one of these freewheels.

If not here's one on eBay for $12.00 USD plus $3.50 shipping.

http://tinyurl.com/6pm47ee

One word of caution, we used to replace these on almost every tuneup back in the 70s. We sold them for ~$7.00 each.

Why replace them?

Look at the small sprocket. It's worn out because many riders rode with both shift levers forward. That put the chain on the small front sprocket and small rear sprocket.

It resulted in extreme chain cross. Also, the chains were usually worn out and should be replaced too (they were never lubricated).

You can keep using the old freewheel but you may get chain skip on the smallest sprockets.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Thanks! 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
tagman21
Thanks Chas!

Any quick suggestions on replacements once I get that thing off?
Incheville, France 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Its funny (sad) to look at how cheap the parts are on your average bike you buy today. The quality is inferior to even the worst older french equivalent. You know, those pieces that everyone said were crap but turn up on e bay for nice prices.

Go to google earth and look up Incheville, France.

Zoom in to the town center and you will see the entrance to the still standing abandoned Maillard factory.

The factory is bigger than the town and gave work to around 2000 people.

These guys made your freewheel and it will probably be clicking long after you are gone along with several other future owners of your bike.

Only until recently, things in France were built to last (just go through any village and look at the construction of houses/ buildings that were built hundreds of years ago and will still be standing hundreds from now)

The idea of building/manufacturing cheaply, sell quickly and make quick profits took them by surprise and basically wiped out lots of the industry
(and continues to do so!)

Your freewheel was well made. If worn out because of stupid use, replace it with one of the millions still around.

Just oil it.

Dan
Re: Thanks! 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
tagman21 wrote:
Thanks Chas!
Any quick suggestions on replacements once I get that thing off?

Your freewheel most likely has inch size threads especially if the wheels are original to your bike.

Check the 2 smallest cogs to see if there is a slight lip or hook on the rear end of the teeth (towards the back of the bike).

If so, it's likely to skip especially when pedaling hard or up a hill.

You can find these Normandy freewheels regularly on eBay. Also look for a Suntour 14-28 5 speed freewheel they're very good too.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
auchencrow
Chas. mentioned it already, but it is worth repeating:

When you install a new FW, you'll almost invariably need a new chain as well, because the old chain will not "know" the new FW and often, skip even worse than before. Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
tagman21
Thanks to everyone for all the advice and info. It's much appreciated and makes this site an incredible resource.

I have a new chain ready to go and I'll keep an eye out for a replacement just in case this freewheel does skip a lot. There's a really ugly spoke guard on there that I'd like to get off. That's the other part to wanting to remove it.

Thanks again!
Remove my Freewheel!? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane