gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane Velocipede 1970s France Goto page 1, 2  Next
Gitane Velocipede 1970s France 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
modsixty
Hello there all! I am new on this great forum/website. My name is Walter and I live in the Netherlands. I am a collector of 20th century design furniture. In search of funiture I bought this velocipede 1970s? Gitane fun bike!!.
Can anybody tell me more about it?

Many thanks, Walter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
Karloman
I can't help you cause I've never seen one before but I think that it's an amazing bike !
And it seems to be in very good condition. Can you tell us how did you find it ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
modsixty
I bought it in Holland two days ago in search of design furniture. I loved it immediately, I paid 250 euro for it. It is in very good condition, the brakes (weinmann type 810) and dynamo (Soubitez) are like new. I tried to make a close up picture from the Gitane mark, this is what is says:

Gitane
SA Micmo tel 78-50-39
44 Machecoul France
nr serie 1158

It als has a small shop sticker at the front

Fahrzeuge
Zurfluh
Birsfelden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:00 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
In English, that is what is known as a "Pennyfarthing". I have seen pictures of them before (same color, in fact), and one person a few years ago posted some questions about his as well. That one appears to be a bit newer than the pictures of the ones I have seen before.

I am not sure what Gitane was thinking in manufacturing these bikes, and cannot imagine that they are very comfortable to ride. Perhaps it was built as an inner-city transport? They naturally wouldn't need much space for storage. However, Gitane did make folding bikes at the same time, so again...no idea what niche in the market this was supposed to fill. Very strange/interesting machine.

Note: Although there is apparently a sign which reads "1960" on this bike, the decals would indicate that it more likely dates from the early 1970s. Also, the person who posted this image on their blog said that it was comfortable to ride. This model also appears to have gearing of some sort in the front wheel.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
modsixty
Thanks for the replies. The front wheel has got a freewheel, no gearing. Shown on the picture from the bike in japan (and mine) is just a black plastic protection for the freewheel.
Yesterday I was at my famillies, I brought my Gitane to show. I knew they have had a tandem from that period and believed it was a Gitane aswell. I went to the garage to see and yes!, it is also a Gitane from the same period with the same orange finish.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:14 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Walter,
A Gitane Family!!! His and Hers and His. That is nice to see.

I collected and sold Mid Century Modern for a number of years. Good things are hard to find in the US unless you are in a BIG City. Prices still seem to be strong for quality Designers. How are they over there?

Now it's just Bikes that I collect.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote
Euroboy
Hi there.
I got one Gitane Velo as same as Modsixty, but in a much worse shape than yours tho. Maybe you Modsixty can give me some info regarding tire dims (both wheels) as iīm unable to see any markings on mine.

I have made this my "project" of the year and will try to restore the bike to itīs former glory. Does anyone know where i can find spare parts for this model, specially brake parts as mine are basically missing or damnaged.

[url=http://postimage.org/image/ifv1b4psx/][img]http://s8.postimage.org/ifv1b4psx/IMG_0240.jpg[/img][/url]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
lofter
700c on the front i believe , you guys, im so jealous, ive wanted a mini penny farthing for awhile now . almost got my hands on one in portland . missed it by hours. cant get the pics to work euro .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
modsixty
Hi,

What a great find!! do you have pictures to show? where did you find it?
My bike is in my warehouse, I'll check the tire sizes asap for you. If you need any outher info let me know.

Kind regards, Kim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
Euroboy
Sorry for late reply.
I delivered my bike to a pro bike restorer last week, he went ballistic and said he never seen anything like this. Itīs gonna take some time to get all the parts needed for the project he said.
I will post some pic when itīs done.

By the way does anyone know where to get parts for this model?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
lofter
I've seen the seat that your bike uses on a gitane stationary excersise bike on lebriocon. They were selling it for 35 euro. The handle bars are going to be tough to find. My penny farthing I bought in Germany is finally in the states as of yesturday. Almost three months from the time of purchase. Should be here this week. I'm pumped.same color as yours.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:03 am Reply with quote
lofter
The gitane traveler,,the chrome bike with the funky bottom bracket ,uses the same stem different bars tho

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
I am not sure what Gitane was thinking in manufacturing these bikes, and cannot imagine that they are very comfortable to ride. Perhaps it was built as an inner-city transport? They naturally wouldn't need much space for storage. However, Gitane did make folding bikes at the same time, so again...no idea what niche in the market this was supposed to fill. Very strange/interesting machine.

We brought one in as a conversation piece at the first shop that I worked at in 1973. The impression that I got back then was that these were made as promotional gimmicks.

I think that someone bought it very quickly.

Last edited by verktyg on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
Euroboy
Att: Lofter. Do you have a link to where i can find that saddle (Lebriocon)?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
lofter
Leboncoin.fr search gitane that's where I seen the exercisebike.its been awhile since it was up. It had the same saddle.
Gitane Velocipede 1970s France 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane