gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Which Gitane Bike was this at one point?
Which Gitane Bike was this at one point? 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
lovology
Hi. The frame is Gitane, it was a faded scratched up, with Gitane Foil peeling logos. I just refreshed the color to ride it, and kluged it together with Shimano parts that I had laying around. So it is a 'put together bike' on my zero budget for now. NONETHELESS, it rides like a dream.....incredible it is, even better then my Specialized Allez SE...I must honestly say...

so if someone could advise me as to the model of this Gitane, it would be greatly appreciated....I have attached pics. There is a G1 on the left bottom back of the head tube, and on the right is 72.

on the left drop out are the numbers 35 83 or vise versa...see pic...
otherwise...I have no idea..when I got the frame, it had been pimped to try and be a offroad low rider mexican bike...of some sorts...a total mess...actually....

with a budget of zero. This is what it looks like now...

I truly appreciate all the responses...

best, ReBecca

Early 1970s Gran Sport 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Greetings,

You have an early 70s Gitane Gran Sport.

These were made with light weight carbon steel frames (commonly called gas pipe tubing). They ride and handle well for entry level models.

My first European 10 speed was a 1972 Gran Sport.

I had several other frames that I built from scratch and used as beaters during the 70s.

I wouldn't worry about restoring it to original condition unless there was something special about the bike, like it was your 1st love... Laughing

If someone has a pristine bike I'll usually suggest that they keep it original. Since you built it from parts that you already had, ride it as it is and smugly enjoy how little it cost you!

The newer components generally work better than the original entry level equipment anyway.

The 72 on the top lug is the 72° head tube angle. G1 is actually 61° down tube lug angle.

There is no logic to the Gitane (non) serial numbers.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
lovology
WOW. YOU Totally Rock...I was hoping to get you....brain of all brains of Gitanes. It rides sooo sweeetly with the shimano stuff..on it..and I don't think it looks too bad either...it sits nicely along with my Allez SE, and my mint Chrome Schwinn Paramount with all campy....stuff...at least I can ride the Gitane around and not worry about it being stolen...like my other babies....

thanks soooooo much....

you are the best Very Happy
Which Gitane Bike was this at one point? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane