gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 70's Hosteller?
70's Hosteller? 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
tas28

I just picked up this old gitane off ebay and from looking at the old catalogues I think it may be an early 70's Hosteller.

I don't think it was ever a high end model and it seems to weigh a tonne but I was hoping it could be patched up into a decent commuter.

Any advice for how to clean it up?, the paint is pretty faded, decals are peeling and there's a fair bit of rust to clean too. My thoughts were some steel wool and metal or car polish?

Also would anyone have any idea if these wheels would fit as a swapover?
http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-and-Cross-Wheels/Dimension-w-Alex-X404-27-Road-Wheel

Thanks for any help.[/img]
1974 or 75 Hosteller 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
You got the real thing! Cool

Judging by the black band on the head tube decal, it a 1974 or 75 Hosteller.

Some of these came with alloy bars. Don't put the stem to high. You should have it inserted 75-80mm into the steering tube.

This bike may have 700c size wheels rather than 27". The rims may be aluminum alloy rather than chrome plated steel too.

If they are 700c, I'd stick with that size as the choice of 27" tires is getting slim these dyas.

The new wheels you linked to will work but the rear hub on your bike is 120mm wide and the new ones are 126mm wide. The rear triangle wil need to be spread 3mm per side.

Also, you will need a new freewheel since the one on your Gitane is most likely metric thread and the new hub is ISO/British thread.

Steel wool will clean up a lot of the rust. Bronze or copper wool will work but breaks down fast since it's made for use in woodworking.

Use a medium grade and then finish with a fine grade. You can also get some rust removing liquid to soak the parts in. Knock the bulk of the rust off with steel wool first.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica