gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Please tell me how to modernize my old Gitane!
Please tell me how to modernize my old Gitane! 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
xtsquintx

Sorry for the lack of a better picture, but I'm sure you all get the idea of what I'm working with: most likely a late 70's Gran Sport Deluxe or something similar.

As of right now everything is original and "works", but between me slightly bending one of the rims (and bending it back into place), breaking two spokes, the derailleurs operating poorly (noisy, shaky, etc) and the whole thing just weighing a ton... I'm thinking of rebuilding it. Ideally I would just keep it as-is and buy a new complete bike, but I don't see myself ever saving up the money to do that. I also figure that I can always put the original parts back on it once I do get a new bike.

I've spent many hours trying to research how to go about this, but when it comes down to it, I'm not 100% which parts need to be "French". Basically it's only the stem, seat post and bottom bracket, right? Mainly I'd like to replace the shifting system (derailleurs, shifters, crankset and pedals) and the wheels (most likely including new hubs and gears as well). From what I can tell everything else seems OK, but I'm no mechanic... I also don't have access to any proper tools, let alone French-sized tools.

So my question is which parts need to be vintage/NOS French and which can I buy new?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
As you have seen from many posts on the same subject there are just a few things to do to your already nice bike. Change cables, regrease EVERYTHING, put on modern brake pads. Before your high mounted Pivo stem breaks off or falls out find one of many better alloy
stems cheap on e bay. (Atax, Belleri etc.)
Change the chain. Change tires and check spokes and true up wheels.
Wash down rear cog with WD40 and then tip over to saturate inside with new oil. (Loose Lyotard pedals can break if you are heavy)
Suntour VGT lux are still one the best ever made and almost free for the rear derailleur replacement. For the front who cares, anything works.

If you are really worried about the weight, take off the 5 pound chain and lock, pletcher rack and look into a new 700c alloy wheel set on Maillard/Atom/Normandy hubs of which Millions were sold in the US.

Like this, your bike will outlive everyone on this forum.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
CragM
I have a '73-74 Gran Sport Deluxe that needs a new chain. I'm not sure what to use. Suggestions?

Craig
New Chain 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
There are lots of inexpensive chains available. Most are going to be made for 6 to 8 speed cogs.

I like SRAM PC850 chains. The PC830 is almost the same but a few dollars less.

They shift very well.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
CragM
Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
jakenok
I am with the others, improve what you have. regarding losing weight, lose the sidestand, the rack and the chain guard. Personally, I'd ash can those wheel reflectors too, but that is just a matter of personal taste. Tons of wheel sets out there as mentioned, if yours are done.

Talk to a COMPETANT shop about maintenace, you'd be amazed at what some new cables grease and such will make that bike feel like.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
peazweag
another upgrade I do on all my vintage bikes is to put on a shimano HG freewheel they shift SOOO much better than anything else Smile
Please tell me how to modernize my old Gitane! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane