gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » "Bonjour" from France
"Bonjour" from France 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Diggs
Hi!
I'm a french happy owner of 2 Gitane, first is a "Tour de l'Avenir" 1974, and the second one is a "Tour de France" 1975...

I'm very glad to see that there are many fans of Gitane in the U.S.A...

A small trivial question: Is anybody knows exactly the brand and model of front derailleur on Gitane Tour de France 1975?
On mine it's an Huret, but I think the original was a Simplex???
Re: "Bonjour" from France 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Diggs wrote:
A small trivial question: Is anybody knows exactly the brand and model of front derailleur on Gitane Tour de France 1975?
On mine it's an Huret, but I think the original was a Simplex???

Welcome,

The front derailleur will match the brand of the rear one.

Does your Tour de France have the Huret "honeycomb" rear dropouts?

These came with Simplex Criterium or Huret derailleurs. Even Campagnolo style derailleurs would fit these dropouts.

I've seen 1974- 1975 Tour de France bikes with Huret Jubilee derailleurs plus Challenger and Success models too.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Diggs
Hi verktyg, and thanks!

Yes my TDF have the honeycomb dropouts, and the rear derailleur is a Simplex Criterium...

So the front derailleur should be a Simplex and not a Huret Club...

The owner has changed the Sugino Mighty Black cranckset for a Sugino Mighty Competition 53x42, for convenience... maybe he has changed the front derailleur for same reasons, he does'nt told me Sad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Diggs wrote:
The owner has changed the Sugino Mighty Black cranckset for a Sugino Mighty Competition 53x42, for convenience... maybe he has changed the front derailleur for same reasons, he does'nt told me Sad

There weren't that may post 1973 Tour de France Gitanes sold in the US. Most of them that were imported had Stronglight 93 cranksets.

I've seen some pictures of TdFs with Sugino Mighty cranks with black chainrings but I think that most of them were European model bikes.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
Diggs
Quote:
I've seen some pictures of TdFs with Sugino Mighty cranks with black chainrings but I think that most of them were European model bikes.

Mine is european model, I live in France Very Happy

For the front derailleur, I don't know at this time what will I do...
Find a Simplex or mount Campagnolo record (front, rear and shifters)...

I've found Campagnolo Record (1973-77) complete set for just a little more expensive that a single Simplex front derailleur and I'm waiting for the seller answering me Very Happy
Front Derailleur 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
verktyg
I wouldn't waste time or money on an early push rod style Simplex front derailleur.

For on thing, the plastic is going to be over 30 years old and tends to crack easily. Secondly that was a 40+ year old design that never shifted very well compared to a dual pantograph style derailleur.

The Huret front derailleurs shifted very well, as good or better than a Campy, even the old Allvit model.

BTW. the cheap plastic Simplex rear derailleurs shifted far better than the Campy Nuovo record derailleurs when well lubricated and with new or good quality cables! Shocked

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Front Derailleur 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
scozim
verktyg wrote:

BTW. the cheap plastic Simplex rear derailleurs shifted far better than the Campy Nuovo record derailleurs when well lubricated and with new or good quality cables! Shocked

Completely agree with this. I came across a decent plastic Simplex and decided to use it. I was shocked at how well it shifts and how quiet it is. Even better than the Suntour stuff I have on other bikes. I think the date code on the Simplex is 1972 or 1973.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Re: Front Derailleur 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
scozim wrote:
Completely agree with this. I came across a decent plastic Simplex and decided to use it. I was shocked at how well it shifts and how quiet it is. Even better than the Suntour stuff I have on other bikes. I think the date code on the Simplex is 1972 or 1973.

Scott,

I've seen Simplex Prestige plastic rear derailleurs work with 52-36 chainrings and a freewheel as large as 14-32T. Shocked

From the mid 60s on Simplex rear derailleurs were reinforced with metal in the critical areas where the plastic was highly stressed.

Unlike Campy, both the upper and lower pivot points were spring loaded. In 1960-61 Simplex made an all metal rear derailleur which performance wise was years ahead of the competition.

In the 1950s and early 60s plastics were considered the magic materials, strong, light. requiring little or no machining and CHEAP! Rolling Eyes

The front dérailleurs were a copy of the 1962 all metal Simplex model LJ23 which was a copy of the 1951 Campagnolo Gran Sport model.

The problem was/is that the un-reinforced plastic on the chainring side of the front derailleur mounting clamp tends to crack from over stress! Confused

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
Diggs
Quote:
Simplex rear derailleurs shifted far better than the Campy Nuovo record derailleurs

I totally agree...
Ideally, I want to keep my rear Simplex which is in perfect condition, and find a decent front Simplex, because I want to keep my bike as close as possible to the original...Even if there are disadvantages (Derlin collar, shifting compared to pantograph derailleur...).
But it's hard to find in France (maybe because all Delrin collars broke Laughing )

If I can't find front Simplex in perfect condition, so I'll mount campagnollo set , as if the first owner wanted to upgrade his bike...

Edit: Yessssss! I've just found a front Simplex (AV233) for "une poignée de clous".
It looks like a brand new one Very Happy

"Bonjour" from France 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane