gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Inter or Team Pro?
Inter or Team Pro? 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Sizzler
Hello,

I found this frame which I believe is Gitane and I was hoping to get some help identifying the model.

None of the original components came with the frame, and the fork obviously isn't original either. However, it does have some clues, such as the color, the Vitus dropouts, a race number tab, internally routed cable . . . etc.

I also found "Reynolds 531" stamped on the frame along with "Butted" and "19/22" stamped on the downtube.

The bottom bracket is standard english threading.

The seatpost is 26.4

Based on this information, I narrowed it down to the 1987 Inter and the Team Pro but I'm not sure how to figure this out or if I'm way off base. Any info or opinions appreciated!

[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
Sizzler
Forgot to say thanks!

Jay from OR
1986-86 Professional 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Greetings Jay,

the frame looks like a 1985 or 86 Professional.

19/22 stands for 1.0mm x .07mm wall thickness tubing.

Only the 3 main frame tubes are "butted". The top and down tubes are double butted, the seat tubes are single butted.

The Professional models are listed as having Reynolds 531C (Competition) tubing which is thinner than your 19/22 down tube.

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1985_pg5.jpg

Sometimes Gitane used heavier gage tubes on "Team" bikes to make them stiffer, especially in larger sized frames.

Here are some pictures of a 1985-86 Professional frame that I bought a few years ago. It came without decals. It was too big for me so I traded it for a 1984 Team Pro frame in my size.

I suspect that someone scraped paint off of the chrome on the chain stays and seat stays (compare your frame with mine).

Also, the fork is not original. It's an aluminum fork from a Vitus frame.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Sizzler
You are good, too good! Very Happy

I scoured that frame for clues, but I missed the tiniest speck of blue paint on the non-drive dropout, indicating that indeed it once was painted!

'85 also matches the dates on the Dura-Ace components that came with it, but that was by no means conclusive.

So, how do you reconcile the fact that 531c was thinner tubing than the 19/22 on this frame? Were Team Professionals custom built to specific riders and preferences or were some Professionals simply built with heavier gage tubing and then designated as Team Professionals?

Regarding value, the frame is in great physical shape but the missing paint is a bit of an aesthetic punch in the nuggets. I'm sure the Vitus fork also detracts from the value, but any guesses on worth?

EDIT: I did some searching and it looks like the '85 you posted here has a different BB shell downtube joint. The one on my frame has an oval cutout and the serial number is way different. Mine also has a different cable guide, unlike the Vitus one that came on the '85. http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13727&sid=0b69ed2c0b16930ac61cca1f63d3b26c

So, if the paint was stripped off the non-drive stays, but it's not an '85/'86, what else could it be? Looking at the scans of the '87, both the Team Pro and the Inter had painted non-drive stays, any reason to think it might not be one of these?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
lofter
Welcome jay, its not a 87 pro because of the top brake cable routing, the 87 pro has underneath top tube routing not on the top like yours.. value? If it was a complete tpro decent paint and decals it would go for about 350 .00 and up . Decals are fifty bucks on eBay.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Sizzler wrote:
You are good, too good! Very Happy

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Sizzler wrote:
I scoured that frame for clues, but I missed the tiniest speck of blue paint on the non-drive dropout, indicating that indeed it once was painted!

One other hint about the paint being scraped off, only ends of the stays were polished. The rest of the stays were intended to be covered with paint so no need to polish.

Sizzler wrote:
'85 also matches the dates on the Dura-Ace components that came with it, but that was by no means conclusive.

These "Team" and team replica models were frequently sold as bare frames. A 1985 or 86 Shimano gruppo would be in the correct time period for this frame.

Sizzler wrote:
So, how do you reconcile the fact that 531c was thinner tubing than the 19/22 on this frame? Were Team Professionals custom built to specific riders and preferences or were some Professionals simply built with heavier gage tubing and then designated as Team Professionals?

Not many of these Gitane top shelf frames were imported into the US and as I mentioned in my message from last year, Trek was involved with Gitane at the time so they were marketing them.

The number tab under the top tubes were indicative of competitive or replica models.

Some Peugeot Team frames were made with light gage Reynolds 531 tubing but used a heavier 1.0mm x 0.7mm down tube for harder/heavier riders.

Frequently team style frames used the heavier 1.0mm x 0.7mm wall thickness 3 main tubes plus thicker rear stay tubes.

The Gitane Olympic was their top model through the early 80s. This picture and specs from the 1980 catalog shows that the frame was made of REYNOLDS 531 7/10e tubing.

By comparison, this 1979 Gitane Team bike was made of Reynolds 531SL (Super Light or Special Lightweight) tubing. 531SL was superseded by 531P (Professional).

Reynolds produced 531 main tubes with a variety of wall thicknesses. Some of the most common sizes were:

Top Tubes: 1.0mm x 0.7mm, 0.9mm x 0.6mm, 0.8mm x 0.5mm (double butted)
Seat Tubes: 1.0mm x 0.7mm, 0.9mm x 0.6mm, 0.8mm x 0.5mm (single butted)
Down Tubes: 1.0mm x 0.7mm, 0.9mm x 0.6mm (Double Butted)
Seat Stays: 0.9mm, 0.8mm, 0.7mm (Top Diameters 16mm, 14mm, 12mm)
Chain Stays: 0.9mm, 0.8mm, 0.7mm
Fork Blades: 1.4mm x 0.9mm, 1.2mm x 0.9mm, 1.2mm x 0.8mm

Production road bikes from the late 1960s through the early 1980s frequently used 1.0mm x 0.7mm wall thickness main tubes. This allowed the use of less skilled workers (to reduce problem of overheating) plus the frames were less likely to get dented during handling at the factories.

Reynolds sold purpose matched tube sets. During the 70s they were called Sprint, Club, 531SL and so on. In the 80s Reynolds offered some sets with distinctive decals: 531ST (Super Tourist - 1.0mm x 0.7mm main tubes) 531C (Competition), 531P (Professional - the lightest 531 set).

Bike manufacturers and frame builders could also order custom sets as long as they purchased a minimum of 100 sets at a time.

Also, Gitane used Columbus SL tubing, different flavors of Reynolds 531 tube sets, Super Vitus 971, 980 and 983 tubing on these frames. You can't go by the tubing to determine the model. The number tab is the defining feature!

Sizzler wrote:
Regarding value, the frame is in great physical shape but the missing paint is a bit of an aesthetic punch in the nuggets. I'm sure the Vitus fork also detracts from the value, but any guesses on worth?

I gave $237 USD including freight for my 1985-86 Professional frame on eBay in 2007. It was a great deal and probably would have brought except that it didn't have decals.

VeloCals has the correct 1985-86 Gitane decals for this frame:

http://www.velocals.com/servlet/the-436/1985-GITANE-Professionnel-decal/Detail

Without decals plus the scrapped paint and replacement fork, I'd estimate that it wouldn't bring more than about $200 USD on eBay.

Sizzler wrote:
EDIT: I did some searching and it looks like the '85 you posted here has a different BB shell downtube joint. The one on my frame has an oval cutout and the serial number is way different. Mine also has a different cable guide, unlike the Vitus one that came on the '85.
http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13727&sid=0b69ed2c0b16930ac61cca1f63d3b26c

Bike makers used whatever bottom bracket shells they had on hand. Same thing for the cable guides. There have NEVER been any "specifation police" in the bike industry! Specification subject to change without notice!

Here's my 50cm 1985 Professional:

The 1985-86 frame that I traded off:

Sizzler wrote:
So, if the paint was stripped off the non-drive stays, but it's not an '85/'86, what else could it be?

WHO says it's not a 1985-86 Profesional?

Sizzler wrote:
Looking at the scans of the '87, both the Team Pro and the Inter had painted non-drive stays, any reason to think it might not be one of these?

See lofter's post

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Sizzler
Well, I didn't want to leave any shred of doubt, but it doesn't sound you have any, which is good enough for me. Thank you for the information Verktyg and Lofter!
Inter or Team Pro? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane