gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » early '80's gitane
early '80's gitane 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
bobdimi
I own an early '80's Gitane, the frame decal says Vitus triple butted and has a picture of some cyclists. The color scheme is black and white, with one area being a black/white kind of "milk cow" pattern. The logo lettering is yellow. The stays are Campagnolo, and the headset and bottom bracket that came with the bike are Campy Record.

I purchased the frame around 1986 from Bicycle Odessy in Marin, the San Francisco Bay Area. I learned that the frame was traded by the Gitane Team for some other items when the team was in SF for the Coors Classic.

The bike is a great ride and bullet proof for these 25 years.

Does anyone no the model or have any information on the bike? It is not for sale, I am just interested in one of my oldest and favorite bikes.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
lofter
welcome to the website , we need some pics in order to figure out what u have , if you look at the catalog section , you'll notice a lack of 80,81,and 82 catalogs , so youll have to bear with us , its hard without those catalogs , but we can get close . a team bike would be awsome ! lets see some pics of that baby Wink
Team Replica 1990 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
bobdimi
A couple of years back I posted asking about a Gitane I thought I purchased in the late 80's. At the time I understood that the frame was a team frame traded for parts to a local pro shop while racing/riding in San Francisco.

Today I rode the bike and it was such a great handling bike, that easily keeps up with my Paramounts and Master Extra Light, so I thought I would revisit the website and topic. And of course the answer was there all the time.

The bike is exactly as described in the 1990 catalog for the Team Replica with Vitus GTI triple-butted tubing, sloping fork crown, internal rear brake routing and race hanger braze on. As I reviewed some of the other posts I now know the paint scheme is referred to as "pinto ponys". With my frame purchase I also received a matching "pinto ponys" jersey and bibs that were supposedly team issue.

My question is whether this is a Team Replica of the 1990 team bike, is the 1990 Team Replica based on the prior year (1989) or, do I own a 1990 team bike that was in fact traded by the team? Do team bikes have identifying serial numbers associated with the team or team member?

The catalog does not mention this but the tips and stays are Campy and the head-set and bottom bracked as originally purchased are Campy C Record. That small bit to me does mean a team bike not a Team Replica as the Team Replica was built with Sachs Huret.

As I said the bike performs great and is still in really great shape. The only change now is that I cannot brag that the Gitane is 28 years new, it is only 23 years new. (But is it an official team bke or replica team bike?!!!) Also, any links to, or lists of the 1990 team?

Thanks in advance for any input.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:03 am Reply with quote
lofter
Put a pic up and we can try and identify it . its hard without one .
early '80's gitane 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane