gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » replacement rear axle for my '87 Victoire
replacement rear axle for my '87 Victoire 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
44 + years of riding and racing---but for the first time the rear axle on my '87 Victoire broke Tuesday while chasing my son Rex around the county Tuesday afternoon. Adding insult to injury, I switched out my clincher wheelset to the tubulars after chores yesterday and was only 7miles into the ride when the front sew-up casing failed. So, cleaning up the rim to mount another sew-up today---and will pull something out of the stable to ride for the time being.

I don't know how old the narrow-flange Campy hubs may be. I purchased them 4 years ago as a clincher wheelset to use on my '87 Victoire (which is pretty much my everyday ride ) The Victoire is 126mm rear spacing for the 6spd hub - freewheel combination. I probably have put about 6700 miles on them since the last disassembly and cleaning--maybe 2 1/2 years ago.

Campagnolo 29 / R 140mm rear axles are not a hot item for sale on E-bay.

So I'm curious if possibly a substitution of the Weldtite 10 x 140mm hollow axle might be an option. My guess is the threading would not work with the original campy spacers and locknuts---but assume the Weldtite cones and spacers, nuts would still work with the 9--1/4 ball bearings Just not sure if there may be an issue with the dust caps and the clearance they may present to the spacer-nut diameters.

I plan to have the clincher wheelset rebuilt if I can come up with a replacement rear axle.

It appears that this axle set is available from an E-bay site in the UK.

Just curious if any members have experience in this considered repair option

I Like Steel !!!

'70 TdeF
'71 Interclub
'72 Interclub X 2
'72 TdeF
'73 TdeF
'72-'73 ??? S.C. waiting
'86 Performance
'87 Victoire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
I have a nos axle for a record hub with 126 mm spacing. I was going to convert my 5 speed hub to 6 speed before I got my Gitane which has 120mm spacing, so I never used it. PM me if you are interested, and I'll dig it out and we can figure out what it's worth.

Dave
replacement rear axle for my '87 Victoire 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane