gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1984 TdF painted to look like Team Pro on eBay
1984 TdF painted to look like Team Pro on eBay 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
verktyg
EDITED CORRECTION

After re-reading the listing, the seller states that the frame was of 1984 TdF equipped to look like a Team Pro. He doesn't state that it was repainted but it has been.

I sent him a message and he confirmed that it was originally TdF red/Orange.

It's still going to be a nice riding and handling bike. A rose by any other name... Cool
Chas.

There's a nice 1984 56cm Gitane Team Pro on eBay listed as a Tour de France.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200946535957

Columbus SL frame with mostly Campy components. It might go for a decent price. Wink

No relation to seller!!!

I hope that it goes to a good home. It would be a shame to see someone part this out or worse yet, turn it into a fixie! Evil or Very Mad

I just finished my own 1984 Team Pro and had for the first ride today. 33 miles and all I can say is WOW! Cool

I put it together with mainly French running gear. I'm building a set of sewups to go along with it.

Last edited by verktyg on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
lofter
I don't know chas , team pros have chromed chain stays . and they have the inside of the forks by the drops filed squared off . are those simplex drops? cant tell from pics. maybe a respray?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
lofter wrote:
I don't know chas , team pros have chromed chain stays . and they have the inside of the forks by the drops filed squared off . are those simplex drops? cant tell from pics. maybe a respray?

Lofter, after closer examination and photoshopping the pictures. I think you're right, it is a respray.

Why?

Original Gitane 1984 decals were on wrap around clear plastic. Up close you can see the seam.

The eBay bike looks like it has Cyclomondo decals which are laser cut close to the graphics. These appear to have been clear coated over.

Original Gitane decal

Cyclomondo decal

Also, the Columbus decals are wrong.

French Columbus decals

Greg of Cyclomondo made up some of these but he used the light blue style instead of the darker blue color. You have to write him at his website:

http://cyclomondo.net/index.htm

One last thing, the number bracket is a little too far forward.

Just because it's a respray and the other minor issues doesn't mean that it's not a Team Pro. If the number tag is original, chances are that it's the real thing, but... Confused

Re-reading the listing, the seller says:

"Up for auction, 1984 Gitane Tour De France Bicycle, Great restored condition, Built up as a copy of the Renault / Gitane team bikes of the 1980s"

So... someone probably added the number tag to a 1984 TdF and repainted it.

That doesn't make it all that bad. All 4 of the top 1984 Gitane models used the same frame geometry: Criterium, TdF, Super Corsa and Team Pro.

The TdF and Super used the same Super Vitus 983 frames only the color was different, red vs. blue. Super Vitus 983 was about the same wall thickness as Columbus SL tubing so there would be no difference in ride.

Last edited by verktyg on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
lofter
chas heres what im talking about when I say inside of fork filed square, ive only seen this on t pros

my 83 t pro

84 t pro

87 t pro

88 t pro

my 84 xcross fork no squared off filing

the blue bike I thought was a 86 t pro in the thread I posted a day or so ago , no squared off filling. someone pointed this out awhile back when we were discussing the differences between a t pro and a bike we thought was a team pro. if it a 84 t pro it should have this filing , if the fork is original and should have simplex drops. if anyone has a red 84 tdf please check the drops and chime in. could the number peg spacing have to do with sizing?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
verktyg
lofter wrote:
chas heres what im talking about when I say inside of fork filed square, ive only seen this on t pros

Lofter, I have to admit... you're right. Crying or Very sad

I checked all 5 of my 1984 Gitanes, a Criterium, 2 TdFs, a Super Corsa and my Team Pro.

Only the Team Pro is filed that way. My mystery early 90s Team bike is filed that way too.

The Criterium came with an extra fork, a chrome one from a 1983 or 84 TdF or SC. It's not filed either.

Both the 1985/86 Professionel bare frame that I traded away and the complete Professionel bike I have lack that feature on the inside of the fork ends.

The Professionel was available as a bare frame or a complete bike and was supposed to be the top of the line in 85/86. It replaced the Team Pro so they should have been filed square too.

lofter wrote:
could the number peg spacing have to do with sizing?

I don't think so. All of the Pro bikes and frames that I could find pictures of from that era had the number pegs brazed on further back.

Since the seller wanted the bike to "LOOK LIKE" a 1984 Team Pro, whoever painted the frame probably added the peg. ...as the seller said, it was a 1984 TdF.

I remember when our generous benefactor Stephan got his 1984 Team Pro. There was some discussion back then as to why the inside of the fork blades were filed square.

Is it wrong, or just French! Laughing

Discussion complete! Wink Laughing

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro