gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Vintage Gitane - help identifying please.
Vintage Gitane - help identifying please. 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
ToonFly
I have an old Gitane bike and I would like some help in identifying it's model and any other details anyone might have on it's history.

The bike frame is Vitus 181 double-butted tubing (same with the forks) and the serial number is E062897. It has Mavic MA3 wheels with Maillard Helicomatic hubs - obviously, these may not be part of the original bike.

I have attached some photographs below. I'm hoping some of you Gitane-ophiles might have some background or can direct me towards someone who does.

Thanks in advance
Richard
(Reigate, England)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:13 am Reply with quote
ToonFly
I hadn't seen the catalogue section when I posted above, sorry. I think it's an Inter 2938. Any other background appreciated. Is it a decent bike? Top or bottom end of the range?
Gitane UK Model Inter 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to the Forum,

Gitane (as well as Peugeot, Motobecane and Raleigh) made distinct models for various markets around the globe.

Your Inter is second from the top model offered in the 1984 UK catalog.

Looks like a very nice bike in decent condition; mostly original except for the later bars, stem and dual pivot brakes.

The bars are made for aero brake levers with grooves in the front for the brake cables. The dual pivot brakes stop much better than the original Modolo side pull brakes. The headset was probably replaced too.

It has Suntour derailleurs instead of the Huret Rivals listed in the catalog. It may have come that way for the UK market or the bike had been "parted out" and then reassembled with different components.

Vitus 181 was decent quality tubing designed to compete against Reynolds 501 Chrome-Moly tubes.

Suggestion: replace all of the cables and cable housing. Newer cable housing has a plastic liner which allows the cables to run smoothly.

Also, either replace the brake pads or sand down the surfaces. As the rubber compound get old the braking surfaces turn hard and provide less friction when stopping.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
ToonFly
Thanks Chas. Your analysis is pretty much spot on. Original cassette, chainwheel and hubs and later components as you mention. Original paint-job as well, looking at the catalogue.

As it happens, I've just replaced all the cables and housing. I've added a new Charge spoon (brown) saddle and aero brakes and the final touch is the leather-look handlebar tape tomorrow (if it arrives). I'll post pics once finished.

Is this a bike that's worth anything? Worth hanging on to as a classic or a common-as-muck hunk of junk? I obviously love it (my hard-up parents bought it second-hand for me as teenager but neither they nor I have every really known anything about it - even which model it was) but others may not be so enthusiastic.
Worth Keeping 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
It's not a high value model for collecting but definitely worth keeping.

The French built bikes to ride not look at.

It should be an excellent riding and handling bike.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
ToonFly
Here it is, the finished bike. Smile

Been tipping it down for most of today so couldn't bring myself to head out for a spin as it was looking so new. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
scozim
Nice job putting it together and cleaning it up. My mid-level '84 Sprint (Vitus 788 tubing) is by far my "go to" bike. Enjoy putting some miles on it.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Vintage Gitane - help identifying please. 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane