gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Just brought my first Gitane, what age/model?
Just brought my first Gitane, what age/model? 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
grizzler73
Hello all.
looks like this is the place to find out things about Gitane's!
Just brought this Frame and fork on French ebay, any ideas what age and model? I think it may well be a mid 60's Tour de France?

Pre-1968 Tour de France 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Looks like a pre-1968 Tour de France, nice find. Cool

Probably a 1965 or 1966 model. It may be Reynolds 531 main tubes with Durifort forks and stays.

An all Reynolds 531 would probably have chromed "socks" on the seat and chain stays.

Also the fork ends would be Campy... The ones on your frame look to be stamped, not forged like Campy, Simplex or Huret fork ends.

Look at the mid 60s Gitane catalogs in the Catalogue section.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
grizzler73
Excellent! nice to have my guess confirmed, I have had a quick look around the web and there seems to be no decals reproduced for the earlier bikes, Any ideas? I'd like to restore it to near original but I may upgrade some of the components to some stronglight and campy I have.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:46 am Reply with quote
gman309905
company called Velocals, I didn't see anything exactly like the decals you're looking for but perhaps if you contact them they can help you out. http://www.velocals.com/servlet/StoreFront

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
grizzler73
The frame arrived today!
took these pics which show it has campy drop outs but stamped fork ends.
there is B11718 stamped on the non drive drop outs it also has 50 stamped on the top up the seat clamp. one of the pump pins is broken off too, the frame weights 2175 grams fully striped. Is there a paint code that is very similar to the colour of a sixties gitane?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Nice frame! I wonder if the forks are original though. Stamped fork dropouts with Campy rear dropouts? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Also, why are you looking for replacement decals? That frame should not be refinished, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
Nice frame! I wonder if the forks are original though. Stamped fork dropouts with Campy rear dropouts? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

It was fairly common on mid range bikes back then, especially on 3 TUBES RENFORCES frames (only the 3 main tubes were Reynolds 531 tubing).

Some 1974-75 Gitane Interclubs had Huret honeycomb dropouts with stamped forkends.

I have a couple of 1974 Moto Grand Jubile bikes with Reynolds 531 main tubes, forged rear dropouts and stamped forkends.

This is a 1967-68? European Gitane frame with forged Huret rear dropouts and stamped forkends.

The real problem with the stamped forkends was that they were thin and bent easily if the front wheel came loose from an improperly adjusted or poor quality quick release.

The Simplex quick releases have become envogue with some classic bike aficionados who weren't there or never saw the problems with those skewers. They could easily be clamped the wrong way or else the locking mechanism could break.

BITD, when a bike came into our shop with Simplex QRs, as a matter of course we threw them away and replaced them with dependable Normandy skewers (about $5.00 a set but our liability insurance carrier probably appreciated the move). Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
grizzler73
The frame has a fair bit of rust, especially on the seat tube; so I think it really needs a repaint. I think the forks have been repainted anyway as they are a different shade of blue. Someone told me recently that a lot of frame makers would use different drop outs depending on what they could get at the time![/i]
Just brought my first Gitane, what age/model? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane