gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1974 Gitane?
1974 Gitane? 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
SenisBS
Hi,

I'm having trouble identifying this Gitane, I just saved. Mostly, because it had mixed parts put on (Shimano barcons anyone?). Looks like it might be 1974 Champion Du Monde (MAFAC, 10 speed), but I'm not sure where did Huret derailleurs come from. BTW, rims are Weinmann (Campy hubs), another mistery. Or maybe I'm just stuck in 1974. What does "73" represents on the top of a seat tube? Serial barely visible: "3 3 J *"?
ST is 61cm ctc, TT is 59cm ctc. A little too big for me, so here is your chance Rolling Eyes
Pictures: http://s896.photobucket.com/user/senisbs/library/Gitane
1974 CDM 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Greetings,

Where did you get the bike, i.e. what country?

I think that you're right on about the model and year. It's probably an early 1974 or maybe very late 1973 Champion Du Monde bike, a European model.

It has an old style foil "Made In France" decal at the top of the seat tube and old style decal on the fork.

The CdMs weren't imported to the US or at least not advertized.

The Reynolds 531 decal was used up until 1974 then they changed.

During that time, the 1974-75 Tour de France bikes came with plastic Simplex Criterium derailleurs also Huret Challenger, Huret Success (titanium and aluminum version of the Challenger) and Huret Jubilee derailleurs.

The TdF and CdM bikes came with MAFAC old style Competition brakes as well as the new style Competition brakes.

Most of those bikes came with Stronglight 93 cranks but a few had Sugino Nighty Compe cranks.

The 1974 and later US model Tour de France bikes came with Campagnolo Nuovo Tipo hubs with 27" alloy clincher rims. A few even came with standard Normandy Sport hubs.

Gitane used the Weinmann alloy rims like on your bike for a while before the Mavic Module E rims came out in 1975.

Pre 1974 TdFs came with sewups. They could be special ordered from Mel Pinto the US importer with the same clincher wheels as on your bike. They switched the wheels out at their warehouse.

The 73 on the seat lug is the 73°angle not the year. If you look hard you'll probably see 73 on the head tube top tube lug.

The "3 3 J *" numbers are random??? Rolling Eyes

The frame is a 62cm, Gitane measured center to top.

The 1974-75 Tour de France frames only had the 3 main tubes made of Reynolds tubing.

The Champion Du Monde frames were made of all Reynolds 531 tubing plus they used thinner wall thickness tube so they were lighter and smoother riding.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
SenisBS
Thanks Chas for sharing your encyclopedic knowledge on Gitane. It is much more clear now. I've seen "73" before, on Bottecchia lug up front, but never on a seat cluster. I wasn't thinking it indicates a year of manufacturing, but thanks for clarification.
I found this one in a new state of Central California, USA. Some guy probably turned the bike into touring machine. You can check the bike in person, just PM me. I'm also in Silicon Valley state Cool and the bike is ride-able.
Off I go, it needs TLC badly. Any advice for cleaning up chrome? I've used fine steel wool and some automotive paste before but maybe technique evolved?
What's approximate value of this bike? Paint is in a rough shape, but chrome is OK (no flaking). I do not see deep rust either. Should clean up pretty nice.
Steel Wool 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Steel wool about 3x still works fine, no need to poilsh. Bronze or copper wool is for wood working because it doesn't rust. I use Semichrome polish for the aluminum.

Value? $300 to $600

Auto rubbing compound followed by some car wax plus shined up components make a world of difference.

Here's some before and after pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28267220@N05/sets/72157623681212186/

click on pictures to read blurb...

Someone could have brought the bike back from France or it could have been an early sample from Gitane West when they took over importing Gitanes from Mel Pinto Imports.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
SenisBS
Yep, there is "73" on a top-head lug.
There are no trace of decals on downtube. What's up with that?
I also wonder what were original shifters on this bike. Huret long-type clamp-on?
I rode the bike today, and it feels amazing. Headset is smooth, hubs spin OK, brakes as brakes from 70's - scary squeaky cool!

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane