gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » thanks
thanks 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
JerryC
it's a weird bike. Simplex headset and fork dropouts. But the rear is campy.

TdF 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Jerry,

Read all of my comments on TdFs and SCs. I own and have owned a whole slew of both models plus back in the day I assembled them out of the box and sold them.

Beyond the frame, the Stronglight 93 cranks and P3 headset plus the Simplex fork ends are the real give aways that your bike is a TdF.

There is no difference between the ride and handling of a TdF and a SC.
A good frame and wheels are the most important part of a performance bike.

Back in the early 70s, the first thing most TdF owners did was change out the plastic Freccia D'Oro saddle "ass hatchet" saddle for a good leather one.

They frequently switched to a Brooks B17 which were somewhat readily available and allowed for a more upright position for non racers.

The other choice were Brooks Pro saddles when available. They were pretty scarce back then. Brooks Pros came on Raleigh Professionals and Peugeot PX10s.

Ideale 90 saddles were more available but not as popular because they had a greasy black dye that rubbed off forever and could ruin lighter colored pants. That was one reason why riding shorts were black.

The next change was to switch from Simplex Criterium rear derailleurs to Campagnolo Nuovo Record derailleurs if they could afford them. Those derailleurs sold for for $29.00 to $39.00 which was a LOT of money for most bikies back then.

If they couldn't afford a Campy RD they opted for Suntour V derailleurs which sold for $6.00 to $7.00 and shifted circles around Campy rear derailleurs. The "cheap" Suntour derailleurs lacked the panache (or snob and vanity appeal) of Campy derailleurs.

If someone was flush with money they had a compete set of Campy derailleurs and shift levers installed.

Bikes with Simplex rear dropouts required some slight modifications to use those derailleurs.

As far as snob appeal went, many bikies looked down their noses at French bikes in general and Gitane TdFs, SCs and Peugeot PX10s in particular.

They preferred to spend an extra $100 or $200 to buy a Campy equipped Italian bike (the vanity thing).

The French built bikes to ride not look at!

BTW, the lowly semi plastic Simplex Criterium rear derailleur when properly adjusted and lubed worked far better than Campy NR derailleurs.

Blasphemy!

I'm not attacking you personally but rather trying to preserve the history of Gitane bikes from the classic era.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
thanks 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
JerryC
I don't feel attacked at all. I'm glad this site exists. I want to be accurate with this project. I'm not trying to restore it to stock. It will be my every day workhorse show bike. But when asked about it I want to be on target with my info. Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Great! 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
verktyg
GREAT!

Chas.

What every good historian should be: breaker of hearts, destroyer of myths, defender of truth! Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica