gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Newby here looking for help with ID on a possible Gitane
Newby here looking for help with ID on a possible Gitane 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
captain57
Grabbed this at a garage sale and couldn't pass it up when I saw the Campy components.
It appears to have been repainted and I see no serial #'s anywhere. Here's what I do know....

BCM stamped into head lug, Weinmann 500 brakes, Rigida rims w/ Bianchi hubs, MM Atom quick disconnects, Campy 26.8 seat post, Stronglight 52 crankset, Huret front derailleur, Campy Nuovo Record rear derailleur (pat 73) , Silca pump with Campagnolo pump head, Campy down-tube shifters , Campy cable clamps and pump bracket, Brooks B-73 saddle, Simplex dropouts. In place of the headbadge it has a sticker from Michaels Cyclery in Ames ,Iowa.
Any help is appreciated !!

72 or 73 Modified Gitane Tour de France? 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
You have some kind of early 70s French bike.

It could be a modified 1972 or 73 Gitane Tour de France... But, it looks more
like a Mercier from that era. Maybe the mid 70s

http://tinyurl.com/l4g67uu

http://classiclightweights.net/france/mercier/

Gitane TdFs from that era had swagged seat stay tops.

Also, clamp on rear derailleur cable stops.

They also used Stronglight P3 headsets. Your bike has the better quality Stronglight V4 Headset.

When it was repainted, the brazed on shift lever bosses and bottom bracket cable guides were probably added.

Many of the components have been changed or upgraded. The bike would have originally had Simplex derailleurs and MAFAC center pull brakes. Also probably Normandy Luxe or Maillard hubs. Seat post may have been a Simplex. The 3TTT stem may have been a latter addition too. The Saddle is a Brooks Pro, worth over $100 used!

Looks like a nice find. It should be a great riding bike.

BTW, Michael's Cyclery in Ames, Iowa was a center for US bike racing. They were involved with Gitane and Raleigh teams in the US in the 1980s. US racer Andy Hampsten got his start with them.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
captain57
Thank you verktyg for your input and links,, I even went as far as removing some paint from the bottom of the BB in hopes of finding a serial #, but no luck. Figured it was worth a shot. I have also contacted Skunk River Cycles in Ames Iowa , There's a couple former employees of Michael's there that run the place. It's a long-shot but maybe one of them will remember the bike.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
captain57
After several hours online and a few different forums I'm about 90% sure it's a Mercier Tour De France with some modifications / upgrades. Now , seeing how it's too tall for me I just need to come up with a reasonable resale value ! Thanks to all that replied !
Newby here looking for help with ID on a possible Gitane 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane