gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Velo Rendezvous Today
Velo Rendezvous Today 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Hi

Just to let you know I am planning on going to the Velo Rendezvous in Pasadena, CA today. It is put on by the Velo-Retro club that I found through the link from here at GitaneUSA.com I've never met any of these folks so it should be interesting. I am going to try to catch some of the morning framebuilder session, too. Hopefully last night's rain will have moved on by this afternoon!

My TdF is not quite ready for riding so I am taking my trusty Eisentraut Limited.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I went two years ago, but only for the Sunday "bike show". I brought a couple of Gitanes, and would have gone this year, but for some reason didn't do it....

The people are VERY knowledgeable about the bikes, but most of them don't ride too often, so the group rides are almost too slow. Chuck Schmidt is one exception...he rides a lot, and a different bike every day! Some of the guys there have 300+ bikes in their collections....

You will see some really nice stuff up there, like Cambio Corsa gears, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I ride with some of the CR members here in the Bay Area. Outside of some Rene Herse and Alex Sanger bikes I'm one of the few people that ride French iron.

One of the members picked up that big purple Super Corsa that was on eBay last summer but most of the bikes are Italian or English.

A few months ago there were about 8 or 9 classic Bianchis including TWO 1949 Paris-Robaix models with the single lever predecessor to the Cambio Corsa rear derailleurs.

Bianchi 1949 Paris-Robaix bikes

Early 1970s Gitane SC

The 2 guys riding the 4 speed Bianchi Paris-Robaix bikes were more than holding their own, they were hard to keep up with even in the hills.

Chas.
The "purple" S.C. 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:51 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Steve, I really appreciate what this site brings to my knowledge base, thanks to all those who post. Another example, in today's previous post. I wish I had been aware of this site last summer. I appreciate the link to the E-bay items. I forgot about the "Criterium Violet" paint on the early 70's Gitanes. If only I could turn back the clock to have been able to bid on that Super Corsa. I could sure make some K-State fans around here turn their heads. Thanks for the picture Chas---some wonderfully clean Bianchi's also.
C.A.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
I missed the morning framebuilder's show and tell meet but made it for the afternoon raindance, er, ride. Met up with five other members, two of which were riding a tandem, and we went for the 25-mile loop through Pasadena and the surrounding cities. It had been raining hard all morning and although there were blue patches we wound up in a some sprinkles and a downpour. We pressed on and by the mid-tour visit to the coffee shop we had dried out remarkably. Al-in-all it was a fun time and I would like to do it again.

Jim

Re: The "purple" S.C. 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
smilingroadrunner wrote:
I forgot about the "Criterium Violet" paint on the early 70's Gitanes. If only I could turn back the clock to have been able to bid on that Super Corsa. I could sure make some K-State fans around here turn their heads. Thanks for the picture Chas---some wonderfully clean Bianchi's also.
C.A.

The fellow who bought the purple SC frame really likes it. I fixed him up with a Campy metric BB.

There's 3 larger classic Gitanes on eBay, a 62cm 1984 Criterium, a 64cm 1970 Tour de France and a 60cm 1971 Super Corsa.

Chas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Jim:

Glad you had a good time at VR. I think I will show up next year for the bike show. Hope to see you out there!

Stephan

Unpacking the 70 TdeF 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
I just received the 70 TdeF from Oregon, looks like the package arrived safely--just haven't had a chance to get into the box yet, hope to check it out in 2hrs. Pretty excited, I like both my '71 & '72 white interclubs, but the blue probably was my 2nd favorite color. Will know more in a little while.
Velo Rendezvous Today 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane