gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Years for lug lining?
Years for lug lining? 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
STW
Should my 1975/6 Racing Team quasi-TdF have lug lining?

It's getting a repaint and Gitane decals and I wonder if I should re-do the lug lining. I'm the original owner (my first nice bike as a young teen-ager) and although it was repainted soon after I got it, I'm pretty sure I remember lug lining. The original color was a greenish gold so the lug lining would've had a subtle contrast.

It's the model with 531 db throughout, half-chromed fork and stays, honey comb vert. drop outs in back. "Racing Team" in script on right chain stay.

This is my first post. Thanks S.A. for putting together a fine forum.

May have missed it in a FAQ, but how do I post photos show I can post pictures of this project? I assume I need to have the photos hosted on the internet somewhere, then cut and past the url into the body of the post?

Thanks,
Mitch Harris
Little Rock Canyon, Utah
racing team 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Welcome Mitch

Racing team is a beaut. Would love to see some pics. Just hit the "add image to post" link below the text box you're typing in. That takes you to the image hosting site. Hit "browse" then find the pic you want in your files. Click on it, then hit the "upload" button. Then we can all share.

Not sure what decals you're getting, but I bought a set of the 1970's repro decals from the ebay cyclemondo guy. They're not too bad. At least, they are as good quality as gitane decals ever were (which isn't saying much). Best of all, the set includes the "racing team" decal.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:10 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The 1975/6 "Racing Team" that I have (thanks to Wisey!) does not have lug "lining". Although it would look great, and some of the pictures of the period bikes include it. Is yours Reynolds 531 throughout, or "3 tubes"? What about chrome: Is the chainstay chromed or not?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
STW
sandranian wrote:
The 1975/6 "Racing Team" that I have (thanks to Wisey!) does not have lug "lining". Although it would look great, and some of the pictures of the period bikes include it. Is yours Reynolds 531 throughout, or "3 tubes"? What about chrome: Is the chainstay chromed or not?

Yes, this one 531db throughout, tubes, forks, stays, as the decals said when translated. The chain/seat stays are chromed. Here is a photo of my blue Gitane at the painter. The photo of the red Gitane is from an ebay bike a couple years ago described as a 1973. The red one is what mine looked like new (although it wasn't red) with the decals and lug lining and "Racing Team" decal.

I bought mine in late 1976 and the shop, a Raleigh shop, was complaining that it had been sitting there in the shop way too long. I don't know how long though; could easily have been a 1975 hanging out there for over a year.

Mine came with Huret Jubilee ders and shifters, Stronglight crank/headset/bb, Mafac Competition brakes, Normandy Luxe hubs and super champion rims with Hutchison tubulars (pretty sure they were Hutchinson), Brooks Pro saddle.

I had the huret shifter bosses and top-of-bb-cable guides added in 1978 when it was repainted the first time. Go figure. I was a teen-ager and thought that was very cool. I've left them on since they represent the way the bike was raced by me in the 70s when it was a current racing machine.

super cool cable guides 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Funny how something can be sooooo cool one decade, and so uncool the next. Before under BB guides were popular, the brazed ones were great. Less chance of slipping and scratching your paint than the clamp style. Only reason we have under BB guides is they can be made so much cheaper from plastic. I like that your bike has it's own personal history. Make sure you write it all down, so that when you're gone (hopefully not any time soon!) some young gitane-aholic can "discover" it on ebay.

Sandamn: Have a close look at the lugs on the racing team. I'm pretty sure it was lined - but very badly faded. Perhaps it rubbed off in the clean up process.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Wisey...you are right. I didn't look at the bike itself, just these pictures. But the lining is definitely there. Regarding Mitch's bike, it has bosses for the shift levers, and the built in cable guides. Would that make it a later model,as opposed to earlier?

Beautiful bike, by the way. It should look stunning when it is all dressed up....Campagnolo Nuovo Record, I hope???

sandman! 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
hope you read your legal briefs better than that! Laughing

Mitch had the bosses & guides added. Read his last again. Razz

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Just skimming...and not being paid to read that!!!

Also, busy looking at the Landis affair fallout.

skimming 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Thank goodness we don't have to pay you to read our posts. This would become an expensive hobby! Landis...... landis? I think I've hearrd that name somewhere before, but I can't place it. Ahh, probably not important anyway....... Still seems like a lottery really. Will Valverde get to ride the worlds, or will the UCI just take him out the back and shoot him? I want us to have strong rules and stronger sanctions, but bloody McQuaid acts like he's the sherif of Tombstone (Tombstone, Switzerland that is)

BTW, did you guys see the pic I put in "trivia?"

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Yeah...I am going to drive the price up for that on ebay. What do you think about that? Wink

dropped delta 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
It actually puts me in mind of the photo taken of Fignon when he crossed the line after losing the 89 Tour to LeMond. Dropped TT bike - almost same pose. Although I think this one is a simple mechanical in a TT. I'm hoping it's a good quality pic despite being B&W. Maybe see some detail on the Delta. You're most welcome to drive the price up, just so long as YOU buy it and post it here on the forum! Wink

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
STW
sandranian wrote:
...Beautiful bike, by the way. It should look stunning when it is all dressed up....Campagnolo Nuovo Record, I hope???

Thanks. No, not N.R. for this one--I have about four N.R. bikes set up as riders so I get sick of it.

For this one I still have the Huret Jubilee ders and shifters (good thing I still have the shifters because the bosses I had put on are not Campy or Shimano compatible). The Stronglight crank is cracked so I've been using a Nervar TA-look-alike crank for several years now. Haven't been able to get any Mafac Competition brakes but I've been using Mafac Racers with Matthauser pads with no problems--good stopping; no noise. Also Mafac non-aero levers that are not the half hooded Mafac levers which I find I don't like to ride. For wheels I'm using an old set of campy Record hubbed clinchers (so I guess there's a bit of N.R. on it) on MA-2s, but I have a pair of Normandy Luxe hubs I've been wanting to build for this bike if I could find more MA-2s. Oh, and one more N.R. piece is the headset--I have the original Stronglight headset around somewhere but I never like adjusting the mini balls.

Mitch Harris
Little Rock Canyon, Utah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Where is Little Rock Canyon in Utah? My family has a condo in Brian Head, and we visit there quite often....

Years for lug lining? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane