gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » I am looking for replacement decals for my restoration
I am looking for replacement decals for my restoration 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Robert Lewis
Hello: Guys and Gals,
Im looking for early 70's decals for my Professional Super Corsa.
If anyone can help please send a link.
Thanks Robert.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Robert,

Currently finding a set of the correct Gitane Super Corsa foil decals is like the search for Excaliber.... Crying or Very sad

I just sent an email to Greg @ Cyclomondo in OZ and asked him about the rumor that he may start making reproduction Gitane foil decals.

If it were my bike, I'd leave the Royal Asport decals on and ride it until it was time for a total restoration or repro decals were available. They are much more rare than Gitanes and great for conversation. Besides those large foil decals were made of thin mylar and got scratched or damaged very easily.

I took all of the foil decals off of my Super Corsa and Interclub bikes except the head tube and Gitane down tube decals because they had gotten damaged and looked cheesy.

Gitanes and French bikes in general from the early 70s were cursed with a "cheap bike" image. This in part was due to the plastic Simplex derailleurs plus the poor quality paint - "Image is everything".... Rolling Eyes

Bikes from the US Bike Boom era (1971-1973) came poorly packed in cheap shipping boxes. Gitanes in particular were usually just thrown in the boxes with little or nothing to protect the painted frame from the loose wheels rolling around and the handlebars draped over the top tube.

I can remember pulling new Gitanes out of the boxes that were far more scratched up than yours. In fact some of the scratches on your bike may have come from shipping damage.

I've wondered if maybe Mel Pinto didn't use Royal Asport decals on Gitanes that came in with scratched up decals. I've seen a flyer for for Royal Asport bikes so they were probably private labeled for some reason....

Here's a link with pictures of an orange Royal Asport Super Corsa:

http://www.kichline.com/chuck/bikes/bits/default.htm

BTW, I stopped by a local auto parts store last night and picked up some white automotive touchup paint. Touchup is the art of camouflage not making a perfect restoration. If you don't notice an imperfection from 3 feet most others wont either! Laughing

Chas.
I am looking for replacement decals for my restoration 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane