gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Mystery Bike
Mystery Bike 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
thea_vc
Hi, I am new to the forum, and want to post a picture of a bicycle that I'm trying to identify. I got it new for my 12th birthday in 1973, so it could've been made within a couple years time frame I suppose. Does anyone recognize this as a Gitane bike at all? Thank you for your help.

So the first image is in 1973 when the bike was new, and the second image is how it looks today.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Great old picture...

It does not appear to be a Gitane. The decals don't appear to be 1970's vintage Gitane, and I am unaware of Gitane ever making a bike with the "crimped" tubes used on the down and top tubes.

The original paint job is very interesting, and it is a pity it was repainted...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
verktyg
I don't ever recall seeing a bike like that with crimped tubing either. Judging from the lugs and components (early SR cranks, Dia-Compe brakes) it looks like a Japanese made bike.

Some of the Japanese bike companies made some strange bikes. The Bridgestone Kabuki Submariner for example was made from unpainted heavy gage stainless steel tubing held together using cast aluminum joints.

They were designed for corrosion resistance in seaside locals and weighed a ton.

Chas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
thea_vc
Glad you like the vintage pic! I forgot that the house was PINK, as it only stayed that color a short time after we moved in. lol. Yes, I have very fond memories of getting that bike and riding it all over town through the neighborhoods, and beyond the city limits. I guess I'm just sentimental for holding on to it this long. Looking back at that old picture, I do regret having it painted, but from what I recall, the "aluminum" parts of the forks were starting to peel as were the decals along the fluted part of the frame. The red was very nice.

As far as the weight of the bike, I think it's fairly light. I have been told that since the bottom bracket measures 7 cm, that it is an Italian frame, but you are right, most of the components are Japanese. So, it's all a bit confusing.

Thanks for the input from the two of you though! I finally decided that in order to figure it out, I would have to start determining what it was NOT, and go from there.
Mystery Bike 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane