gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » More novice questions - about threading
More novice questions - about threading 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Henki
Hi again,

Now assuming that I am now the proud owner of a circa 83 (Columbus tube) Team Pro/Replica - what is the threading on the bottom bracket and the headset? French (I assume), English or Italian?

Sorry again to ask stupid questions!

Slowly getting the project rolling in Emeryville -

Henki
Threads 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Sometime in the late 1970s most French bike makers switched from metric to British Standard threads in the bottom brackets, headsets and freewheels.

That's no guarantee however. I have 1980 and 82 Motobecanes with metric threads and I've seen bikes with a combination of threads. Both of my 1984 Gitanes have British threads.

Is this a bare frame or does it have the headset and bottom bracket installed? A 1983 bike is over 25 years old and probably needs to have the bearings replaced and repacked with grease so it would be a good chance to check the threads.

The only sure fire way of telling is measuring the threads and thread pitch. Check them carefully because it's easy to get the wrong threaded components started and strip the threads in the frame.

Sometimes you can luck out and find the thread size marked on the bottom bracket cups. It's usually the fixed cup on the right side and if you're lucky you can read it after you wipe off the crud behind the crank arm.

Some headsets have the thread size stamped inside the locknut or threaded top race.

Here's a link to Sheldon Brown's web site with everything thing you need to know about French (metric) bike threads.

http://sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

If you're in Emeryville and still need help take it up to the Missing Link on Shattuck near University or see Peter Rich at VeloSport on University at California.

Good luck.

Chas.
More novice questions - about threading 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane