gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Defi Project
Defi Project 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Some of you may remember my Defi that I use as a commuter. (I hate driving in peak hour traffic!) For those who don't know the story, the bike was a trade in at the shop where I used to work. It was not in working condition, and most of the Sachs Huret parts went straight to the bin. The fork was badly rusted and the internal cable route in the top tube had also rusted badly. As you can see from the pics, it wasn't a glamour, but a new fork, and some new (old) equipment turned this junker into an acceptable commuter.

As a commuter, the bike was exposed to the elements on a regular basis and the damaged/rusted areas of the frame were only going to get worse unless I did something to fix, or at least cover them. I was loathe to do half a job, and so began my first solo frame repair.

I cut the top tube in half, heated the lugs and removed it. I then replaced it with a Columbus SP top tube. I brazed on external brake cable guides. The few small dents and scratches on the frame were filled with brass, and filed and sanded back. The gear lever bosses on the down tube were replaced with the STI cable guides. These are the Llewellyn patent ones, with little heart shaped cut outs. I filed these into triangles to match the lugs on the frame. I added a second set of biddon mounts using diamond shape reinforcements on the seat tube as this frame had none. I also added a Columbine chain saver, and mounts on the seat stays for a rack. The rear tips (Vitus) were replaced with a Campy/Columbus style set of horizontal tips. Rack mounts left on.

This has been a great learning experience, and I'm quite pleased with the result. My shore lines are not perfect by any means, but they're not too bad (even if I do say so myself).

I replaced the fork with a new straight blade fork, courtesy of Darrell of Llewellyn Bikes.

Finally a coat of paint from the paint master, Joe Cosgrove, and a set of the repro decals from cyclemondo. I have built the bike with mostly my old 9 speed Campagnolo Veloce group. Cranks are 2007 Campy Chorus.

Here it is, the 2008 Gitane Defi:

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
lynnef
You did a great job! It is gorgeous!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Awesome, Lots of neat extra details. Is this the same color of your custom frame we saw earlier last year? I do like that Candy Apple metalic finish. Complements to the frame builder and painter.

I didn't realize when you posted the image of the Reynold's decal that Greg reproduced that it would adorn such a nice finish.

colour 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
It's a bit darker than the candy apple red that is on my Llewellyn. Both are over a base of metalic silver though, hence the similarity. This colour is actually Brandy Wine which is quite dark. It was an experiment to see how it went on the silver base. It is several shades lighter than I was expecting, but I am happy with it nevertheless. Here is a link to the original Brandy Wine: http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegallery/album42/aac

You can see just how much lighter it is. Unexpected result, but nice.

I had the 453 decal made especially, because it is the one unique aspect of theis relativly low grade cro-mo frame. I've never seen reynolds 453 except on the 85 Defi's. I'm sure it does exist, but it's just unusual enough to be a feature. Having said that, it now has a Columbus SP top tube, various Long Shen cast fittings, Llewellyn cable guides, Reynolds 708 fork blades, Dedachi steerer............ So, it's not quite the "real deal", but I'm not into being a purist unless it really is a special bike. (I'm still dreaming of a 58cm Delta)

Thanks for your kind words CA and Lynne.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
Defi Project 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane