gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Looking for ideas
Looking for ideas 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
citternmaker
Hello all,

After rescuing my late '60's-early 70's TdF from storage last Summer, I finally got to take it for the first ride I've had on it in 15 years. After riding newer bikes since then, it was a blast remember just how good friction shifters and center-pull brakes can be.

Unlike most of y'all my TdF is pretty far from being original. Having been ground-looped by its first owner (i.e. its got a bent head tube), I bought it in 1980 from its second owner, who built it into its present configuration. I can still remember that first ride, as it was the first decent bike I was ever on.

About the only TdF-original parts left on the bike are the crankset, calipers, bottom bracket, and (maybe) the pump bracket. The mangled fork, handlebars and stem were replaced with SR items, and the guy I bought it from built up the rest of the bike with a mix of Dura Ace/Crane (levers, hubs, 12-18 freewheel, headset, rear derailleur), and Campy components (shifters, font Derailleur), Maillard 700 pedals. The Grab On grips were my own folly from 1984 (and absolutely have to go when/if I get new hoods for the levers).

So what I've got is a sort of basket case bike (only being partly a TdF) that I rode for thousands of miles throughout the 80's and 90's, despite the fact that the frame is way too big for me at 62cm, when I normally take a 53-54cm frame. I've since replaced it as my primary road bike, and am wondering if y'all have any suggestions what you would do in a similar situation -- i.e. keep it as is for laughs, restore it, sell it whole, part it out, etc.? Maybe hang on to the parts and wait for a smaller frame to show up on Ebay?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have,

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Yep, it's a TdF alright. Smaller sized TdFs and frames show up on eBay several times a month. Get a frame your size and with the components you have you've got the makings of a nice bike.

Junior and the boys will appreciate it if you ever have to dismount in a hurry! Sad

Chas.
Looking for ideas 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane