gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Interesting Gitanes on eBay
Interesting Gitanes on eBay 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
There's several Gitanes currently listed on eBay that are interesting curiosities.

The first is a green repainted bike from OZ. It looks like it has Columbus decals. It's definitely not from the 70s as listed, probably early 80s.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GITANE-70-S-RACING-BIKE-NERVAR-MAVIC-MODOLO-FIXED_W0QQitemZ260221501278QQihZ016QQcategoryZ7298QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The next is a blue bike that is definitely from the mid 70s. Judging from the long point lugs with cutouts it's probably a Tour de France or better quality frame but there are no Reynolds decals to verify this.

If the fork is original someone removed the paint so it's all chrome. I'm always leery of frames with forks that don't look like they're original. The most common reason for changing a fork is that the frame has been crashed. Without closeup pictures it's hard to confirm that the top tube, head tube and down tube areas are intact. This fork does look like it has the original Bocama crown that Gitane used during those years.

It has a mishmash of Campy components which was common to many bikes in that era. People bought a bike with a nice frame and upgraded as they went along. The Campy Nuovo Tipo hubs with the round holes, the blue color and the lugs would seem to indicate that this is a 1975-6 Tour de France Frame.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VITAGE-RARE-GITANE-59CM-CAMPAGNOLO-REYNOLDS-SHIMANO_W0QQitemZ370034385745QQihZ024QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

There's an Italian made Alan aluminum framed bike in Gitane kit with supposedly Campy components. I wrote the seller suggesting that they take some closeup photos of the components on the right side of the bike. They replied with a snotty 3 word response - good luck selling your "pig in a poke" fella! Twisted Evil

Is there something indecent about showing the "private parts" of a bike? Shocked

I see bikes listed by experienced cyclists that only show the left side! Rolling Eyes

Anyway, Alan frames were the hot ticket before Vitus aluminum frames came along. They used "screwed and glued" construction that is they were assembled with aluminum tubes screwed into aluminum lugs held in place with epoxy glue. They have a reputation for being a little soft riding.

Alan frames were sold private labeled by many premier bike makers. The early Alan frames had some problems but the the later ones were used by many cyclocross champions. Unless it went very cheap, I'd be cautious of bike like this without closer inspection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GITANE-CAMPAGLONO-BIKE_W0QQitemZ280211751176QQihZ018QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Finally there's a large size early 70s Gitane Interclub listed as "Service Course". It has Prugnat or Bocama lugs in a style I've never seen on a Gitane before. Someone upgraded the derailleurs to decent quality Suntour models and put on a better quality alloy crank, bars and stem. The lugs are what make this one different.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gitane-Service-Course-Road-Racing-Bike-Bicycle_W0QQitemZ140217726337QQihZ004QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have no interest or investment in selling these bikes. I've pointed out things to look fro when buying a used bike especially one off of ebay or Craigs List.

Chas.
ebay bikes 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Nice analysis Chas.

The green one looks like it is an 85 Performance with the decals removed, rather than a re-spray. Columbus Alle tubing, but still with the lower end gear on it. Seems to have a lot of bidding for a gitane in Oz. Usually they only get one or two bids down here. Getting a bit pricey too - for what it is. Someone out there must like green, huh?

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
Interesting Gitanes on eBay 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane