gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » calling all experts
calling all experts 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
voogan
Hi,
My lack of a digital camera may hinder this request, but i'm hoping someone can help me identify a possible Gitane i've recently purchased. I was especially hoping to discover the approx year. Bike has Shimano 600 rear deraiileur and Durace front deraiileur. Tourney is stamped on the cranks and the centrepull brakes have Weinmann 610 and vainqueur 999 on them. Shifters on down bar are Shimano 600 and there are no holes for bottle cages at all if this helps identify the period. Bars are Cinelli as is the stem. Only number i can find on it anywhere is G0679 on the rear dropout.Has Gitane stickers but no model types or badges. Hoping someone here can help and even let me know if its worth hanging on to,
Regards,
Vaughn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Vaughn,

I don't clain to be an expert, but since you have no replies, I'll suggest why the experts haven't weighed in. It's easy to change parts on a bike, and I'm pretty sure there has been no Gitane that came with the components you list. The brakes are probably standard. The best place to start, is to take a look at the rear dropouts, stickers, and lugs on your bike, and compare it to models in the catalogue section of this site, looking for Weinmann brakes models that resemble yours. I'd start in the early '70s. No holes for water bottle cages would indicate an earlier model, as would the Weinmann centerpulls.

You have good components, and if the bike is in reasonable shape, it's worth keeping if you ride it. If you can figure out the model, experts will be better able to answer any other questions you may have.

Hope this helps.
Model ID 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Gitane frame decals can help ID the model and approximate age. Look in the Catalogues section of this web site.

http://www.gitaneusa.com/catalogues.asp

Racing models (Interclub, Tour de France and Super Corsa) from the late 60s until 1974 had foil decals like these:

From 1974 through about 1977 or 1978 most Gitanes came with decals similar to these in yellow or green:

Late 70s to the early 80s Gitane decals look like these:

The more expensive models came with integral derailleur hangers on the right rear dropouts.

Chas.
calling all experts 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane